Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aftermarket Wheels and Tires

slvrsrfr

Corvette
1999 Silver Convertible
Hi All,
Other than the tire pressure not being displayed, would there be any other technical issues with installing a set of aftermarket wheels (no pressure sensors) and non-runflat tires on a '99 C5?
Thanks,
Phil

Really? Is that difficult to do? If I didn't install the sensors, would it cause any problems?

Thanks,
Phil

Really? Is that difficult to do? If I didn't install the sensors, would it cause any problems?

Thanks,
Phil

Not installing the sensors will not cause you any problems at all if you reprogram the PCM to edit them (the sensors) out so you don't have codes popping up. If you are going with different size wheels and tires you will have reprogram anyway to prevent AH/TC issues.

That said, the sensors are attached to the valve stems and you should be able to transfer them to your new wheels with no problems. Just have to make sure you put the sensors in the SAME position that they were in on your old wheels (i.e. the RF sensor should be attached to the new RF wheel and so on...) Hope that helps.

slvrsrfr - welcome to the CAC!

When you have time, post a thread in the New Member Introductory Forum here so more of our members can stop by and say hello.

And here's Remo's Tires and Wheels thread here so that you can post a photo of your Vette with its new wheels.

:wJane Ann

Not installing the sensors will not cause you any problems at all if you reprogram the PCM to edit them (the sensors) out so you don't have codes popping up. If you are going with different size wheels and tires you will have reprogram anyway to prevent AH/TC issues.

That said, the sensors are attached to the valve stems and you should be able to transfer them to your new wheels with no problems. Just have to make sure you put the sensors in the SAME position that they were in on your old wheels (i.e. the RF sensor should be attached to the new RF wheel and so on...) Hope that helps.

It sure does!! Thank you!

slvrsrfr - welcome to the CAC!

When you have time, post a thread in the New Member Introductory Forum here so more of our members can stop by and say hello.

And here's Remo's Tires and Wheels thread here so that you can post a photo of your Vette with its new wheels.

:wJane Ann

Will do. And thanks for the warm welcome!

Phil
:)

Not installing the sensors will not cause you any problems at all if you reprogram the PCM to edit them (the sensors) out so you don't have codes popping up.
Not quite. The TPM system is part of the BCM, so the typical PCM editing software won't touch it. You need to remove it with a Tech2.

Ref: http://www.stopforce.com/RPO.html
(scroll to Setting up tire pressure monitoring)

Not quite. The TPM system is part of the BCM, so the typical PCM editing software won't touch it. You need to remove it with a Tech2.

Ref: http://www.stopforce.com/RPO.html
(scroll to Setting up tire pressure monitoring)

I stand corrected. I misspoke (typed :L) .

However, it is better to keep the sensors and use them on the new wheels rather than to remove the feature altogether.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom