Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Cleaner Duct

glomonac

Corvette
1987 Red Coupe
Do the two black fasterners that hold the air cleaner duct just screw out? Mine seem to be frozen in place. I didn't want to use pliers if there is another way they are removed.
Thanks,
Guy

Yup, they should just screw out. Try a little WD 40.

The fasteners are threaded into a pair of speed nuts that simply clip to the plastic airbox. It's common for the threads and speed nuts to be rusted and using excess force will cause the speed nuts to twist off the box. WD-40 should work; just spray some around the base of the fastener and wait a couple of hours. You may have to spray them a couple of times to insure the material gets down to the threads.

IMHO, it's a poor design and they should have used clamps like the ones that hold the intake hose to the throttle body.

The plastic knob is just pressed on the knurled end of the actual bolt. One of mine was slipping and the knob would just spin, but not the bolt. Had to press it back on the bolt to get it to loosen up.

:w

Well, I soaked the two black fasteners overnight and again this morning with WD40. I tried unscrewing them and now thy both just spin. How do I get the duct off. Do I have to cut it off then replace it with a new one?

Well, I soaked the two black fasteners overnight and again this morning with WD40. I tried unscrewing them and now thy both just spin. How do I get the duct off. Do I have to cut it off then replace it with a new one?

Try pulling up as you loosen to help keep the from spinning on you. Worse case I would break the knobs right off, then replace them. The air box is more expensive than the knobs.

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=3.135.746

Yeah the whole design of that thing is a POS. When I bought the car one of them was already broken off the side of the case, and held on with a twistie tie. I got tired of messing with it, and just spent the money and bought a Breathless Ram Air kit for it. It is still plastic but it is so much easier to get the filter out now, and it is less restrictive.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom