Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Compressors ???

Corvette
1969 Black Coupe
I am looking to buy a new compressor for my home shop. Don't want to go to crazy but I have narrowed it down to two choices. 1) 60 gal 7hp 10.3 cfm@ 90 psi $520
2) 60 gal 7 hp 18.5 cfm@ 140psi $780
Is the extra cfm worth the extra cash? I work by myself, no body work but I will be using a sandblaster and sandblast cabinet occasionally
What is everyone else using for compressors and are you sorry you didn't buy bigger??
Sorry about the wordy post.

Thanks
Mike

Here's mine...Just a plain old Sears 5.5 hp - 30 gallon unit. Works great for all my home air tool uses. I hooked up a Sun 50ft hose reel so the compressor stays put.
I can't ever say I wish I had a larger one.

Dave

Mike,

I love your avatar! I had to look at it closely to see what he was doing.

Dave and I have the same compressors! Except mine is older, and a little more worn out.

I want to place a larger tank outside of my garage on a concrete pad and run airlines through the walls to have a larger air reserve. I think a compressor the size we have will maintain pressure.

When I worked out at the shipyards, we would use old fuel tanks from tug boats, as long as they had the round ends on them, weld up the fuel line connections, and attach 1 inch air hoses to them to pump up as a huge reserve air tanks so that once they were up to pressure they would hold for a long time before the compressors would have to recycle. Took a long time to build pressure initially however.

Bill

I have a 6.5hp DeVilbiss 60-gallon vertical; 220V, 2-cylinder, iron sleeves, oiled bottom end, 10.5 cfm @ 90 psi - got it from Harbor Freight three years ago for about $490 including free truck shipping to my door. Serves my home needs very nicely, has plenty of reserve capacity so it doesn't run all the time (like my old 3.5hp/25-gallon/6.8 cfm Craftsman did).
:beer

I use a Porter-Cable:
20021101200000_CPLDC2540S_72dpi_500.jpg

Works fine for my small jobs, although extended air wrench use will work it pretty hard.

Don't a lot of the tools require more than 90 psi or am I mistaken, mine is a small portable 4 gal 125psi. If I'm using a cutoff tool or other that runs continuous it doesn't have enough reserve/pump capacity & I have to shut off & wait a bit.

I would like a little bigger but no place for a 60 gal!

Picked up an air compressor

A Coleman powermate CL0602712
6 hp - 27 Gal tank
95 - 125 PSI operating pressure

7.7 CFM @ 40 PSI
6.0 CFM @ 90 PSI

I wanted it 'portable', oilless, and beltless (it's for occational use)

CL0602712_350.jpg

I use this old compressor I picked up at a garage sale its on its third motor and second pump.
DSC01317.JPG

I have 2 compressors. My old one is a Sears 30 gal. stationary I bought through the Sears Tool catalog in the late 70s. It was much cheaper than the portable 30 with wheels and fancy guage panels and put out more scfm. The label is long gone off of it but it has painted many cars and run air tools for long periods of time without failure.

I also have a Sanborn Black Max that was my late father-in-laws. It is about 15 years old but hasn't seen much use. It is a 80 gallon 2 stage with magnetic start. Delivers 17.9 scfm@100psi and cycles between 175 and 145 psi.

I just finally installed it this last weekend but I have a problem with the pressure switch. Sometimes it will shut off at 175 and other times it will stick and pop the safety valve at 200 psi. A rap with the screwdriver will shut it off. This has been a problem since it was new and Sanborn was bought out by ingersall-Rand, I think, several years ago. Guess I need to buy a new pressure switch and fix it right.

Tom

That 30 gal 6hp verticle with kit looks like one heck of a deal.

Tom

If you are not in a hurry to get one... watch Sears to put them on sale about every 3-4 months.

The compressors in the above link are on sale now, one with air tools, hose ect. (kit), until Oct 3rd.

Tom

I use an Ingersoll Rand, 5HP, 60 gal., vertical two stage. $995.00 at Sears. Designed for continous duty. Awesome compressor!!

I scored a new contol switch for the big one on Ebay for $12.50. The cheapest I found one elsewhere was ove 50 bucks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom