Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Conditioning on a 1982

C

catfishjack

I purchased a 1982 about 2 months ago. 24000 miles all original /1 owner/documented. Air conditioner blows warm air..
well guys what do I have to do??R-12/r-134A
I'm dazed and confused. Tell me what you did...
Thanks

Our '81 was getting weak 2 years ago. Replaced one hose and new R12. R12 is getting rare and expensive so you might want to consider R134. Or move outside the USA where R 12 is easily purchased.

Tom

I did R134 and replaced the low pressure cutout switch with a C-4 switch that is adjustable. Blows plenty cold. But there are MANY things you can do to improve C-3 air. Just search the archives and you'll get a treasure trove full!

AC

The AC had been frozen up for several years before I was able to tackle that project and when I did, I upgraded to the R134. I needed a new condenser, hoses and some other expensive part (I can't remember what) and the job was professionally done to the tune of $1700.
But now I can be cool whenever I want!
Silver

If it was me, I would pull all lines loose, replace all the soft lines I could, flush it out, shoot in some Ester oil, and pump it full of 134 and take my chances on the compressor.

The other option is to simply have a local shop pull a vacuum, let it sit for a while to ensure there are no huge leaks in the system, then charge it back up with R12. I have not seen the most recent price, but I think you only have about 2.5 lbs or so anyway in the system. R12 is colder than R134 and the old compressors and hoses were made for R12 oil and R12 freon. You may get by for several years or more just by doing this.

I did a leak test and recharged the 82. If there were serious problems,compressor,etc, I would convert at that time.

Air conditioning, air conditioning, I don't need no stinkin' air conditioning. :bang

Take the T's out that's what they're for!! :D

But seriously, I recently bought mine and the guy told me that the A/C was in need of charging. To me, that's a no biggie because I probably wouldn't use it even if I had it. So, I am not going to waste the $$$ getting it charged only to NOT use it.

Good luck. :beer

MNHoosier"Air conditioning, air conditioning, I don't need no stinkin' air conditioning.

If I lived in MN I be more concerned about my heater:L :L

I have actually experienced a very hot day or two in Minnisnowta.

Tom :grinsanta

Sitting here in South Florida sweating profusely with all the windows open and all fans on during an overcast Spring day, I find very little sympathy welling up in me over "hot" days in Minnesota! On the other hand, I'm in no hurry to replace my defective heater core!!!

What's a heater core? I don't think we have those in South Texas!

But seriously, folks -- I just spent close to a thousand bucks to have my A/C done. New compressor, hoses, accumulator, etc. etc. Done by the best shop in town -- not cheap (but cheaper than a dealer).

On Saturday, we had the car out for an hour or two (it was in the 80's), and all of a sudden psssssst! Scared the loonies out of me -- I was afraid it was coolant. But no, only freon.

Well, I took the car back to the A/C shop. They found the pressure hose was rubbing on the hood, causing it to leak at the back of the compressor. They bent the hose and recharged with R12 ($$$). No charge to me!

Moral of the story? Getting your A/C fixed by the best may seem expensive...until you have a problem and the warranty kicks in!

Here-here, page!

That is why I also went to an AC-only shop.
Sil

When I bought my vette it didn't even started the compressor so I let the pro's work on it. They replaced the old wires, hoses and gave ti a shot of freon just for $200. Given this situation you shouldn't lose sleep over it. :z
Paul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom