Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Conditioning

cscarlson

Corvette
2003 50Th Corvette
I started replacing my air conditiong compressor saturday along with the air conditioning dryer/accumulator. as you would think everything should go smooth right. wrong .. the bolt that hold the compressor to the bracket to keep it tight was too big for the new compressor so off to lowes to get a smaller bolt, got new bolt and had to clean threads on compressor. got compressor on and started getting lined off the dryer, took off the side vent to get to it and started to try to disconnect and wow was it tight, well it figures since it was the original one. used wd-40 and tryed again and snapped the line. okay called around to see if anyone could re-swedge new fitting on saturday, hahaha.. no one , so started to tacke fittinf on top and i think the car was built around this thing not enough room to manuever , so finally called it quits till monday. today i am gonna see if they can swedge fitting on without me taking line all the way out , if not i will have to take the hood off to get to the connections at end of line... what fun it can be at times and not to say how it can try your patience.

I hate to say it but . . . thanks for reminding me why I let the best folks in town do my AC $y$tem!

Called the hose company and was told i had to take the hose completely off the car for them to fix the fitting, so went home after work and tried everything i could to get to the fittings on the air conditioning hose at the condensor? . no luck,,, i had to take the hood off to get to the fitting and i found a hole in the bottom part of the hose at that end. so i decided to order a new a/c hose and replace new vs rebuilt. am awaiting hose to get here hopefully today.

Hey, the AC on my 80 isn't working either, however I haven't been able to troubleshoot it to any particular problem yet. How did you determine that the Compresor was bad? (I've been told that if there is no charge that the compressor won't kick in.)

Can you give me some hints on where to check first?

Thanks, and I hope it's going better now, but from my experience, the "simple" problems turn out the worst. :)

Steve :w

Well i bought one of those retrofit recharge kits and put in 2 cans of refrigerant and 1 can of oil as per instructions. i checked the pressure and it was over 100 when it should have been around 20. so i took it to where my cousin works and they determined it was the compressor , so i bought a new compressoe and accumulator( was told you change the accumulator when you change the compressor), .. got new a/c line and stated to install but have a problem,,, i got the accumulator from autozone and it has 2 nipples onit, old one had none, had to buy the accumulator from dealer to get the right one. will continue the install tonight.

Oh, Boy...

Yeah, that kind of stuff always seems to happen to me. I'm really glad that I took my A/C to the dealership for repair. The cost was worth saving me from that type of frustration. Still, I'd rather work on my '81 than my '98 Taurus.

yeah a little frustration but i have learned a lot from it.. love the corvette still,

Let me add to this. The AC on my 80 works well from the vents on the floor. I may or may not get air from the vents in the dash It comes on and goes off at will. Where would be a good place to start looking for the problem. The vaccum lines are all new. Thanks for any help

CS...... I'm glad you decided to keep the '80. I'm so lucky (knock on wood) that the A/C in my '81 has been trouble free. My brother-in-law is in the same boat as you. The more he got close to getting it fixed, the more he had to replace. Hopefully ole buddy this is the final fix. Don't need the A/C today. The tops are out, it's 79 degrees and a bright blue sky in mid July. What's up with that? :D

Later........... Nut

can someone with a 80 vette look at their airconditiong hose and tell me if the line coming from theacummulator is on top or bottom, the reason i ask is if i connect it with the line from the accumulator on top it looks high need help, is the line from the condensor on the bottom? help

Anyone looked at their 1980 air conditioning hose and have any placement info?

I'll check mine tonight, but can you give me a better description, I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for.

Steve :w

Thanks anyway, i installed it last night and put the hood back on.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom