Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air filter questions

Pseudomind

Corvette
2002 MY Roadster
I would prefer a non-guess or manufactures claim answer here.

I have been looking through a few Corvette catalog's "Eckler's, MidAmerica, etc. at the replacement air filter systems, K & N, BlackHawk, (I believe) and a few others.

Now my question, has anyone ever performed a before and after dyno test themself and noticed whether there actually was any change in horsepower? Most of the manufactures claim some increase in horsepower, but that is their claim. I am looking for answers from, you the user.

The only reason I am asking is that if the claims are true, I figure I may as well go with the system which gives the best performance increase.

Secondly, I have gotten the idea that with some of these units your "chip" may have to be reprogrammed, anyone have any input about this? I have also heard that the "chip" will make self-adjustments for the change(?) I do not wish to get myself into an area where I start throwing DIC codes

Lastly, do the air filter systems invalidate the GMPP extended warranty?

As always, and believe it or else!

Thanks!

Well I can't answer the first part of your question as I'm still trying to decide on a CAI myself. For now, I've got the zip tie mod with a standard K&N replacement filter. Added the front weather strip to keep any water out too. I couldn't tell any difference SOTP.

As to your "chip" question, there isn't a physical removable chip in your PCM as there were in older GM cars. Your PCM will learn and make fuel adjustments based on the front 02 readings. If it's reading lean (getting more air) then it will add fuel as appropriate via the Fuel Trims. I'm still a newbie on the Z06 but I wouldn't think you would see any codes with just a CAI.

Nice looking ride :)

Almost all will give you some extra power. If your going for drag strip maybe the Variram, The best over all probably is the Callaway Honker (that's what I bought). At the NCM HPDE at Putman Park I talked to a fellow who had installe his while the car was strapped to a Dyno which should give the best indication, He picked up 20 HP that day alone and told me that it was the easiest and cheapest of all the mods he had done. Mine does feel stronger and did not need any recalibration. overall fit finish and quality were top notch.

I've not dyno tested C5 air filter assemblies, however, if you look at what Lingenfelter, Katech and SLP sell---the Black Wing---that ought to be an insight.

You can bet both Katech and Lingenfelter have extensively tested what they sell. Same is true of SLP. In fact, SLP thought so much of the Black Wing product that they bought the design and tooling from Donaldson.

If I were going to install an aftermarket air filter assembly on "3Balls39", my 04 Z06, I'd make it the Black Wing. Eventually, I will. I just haven't gotten around to it, yet.

Hib Halverson said:
I've not dyno tested C5 air filter assemblies, however, if you look at what Lingenfelter, Katech and SLP sell---the Black Wing---that ought to be an insight.

You can bet both Katech and Lingenfelter have extensively tested what they sell. Same is true of SLP. In fact, SLP thought so much of the Black Wing product that they bought the design and tooling from Donaldson.

If I were going to install an aftermarket air filter assembly on "3Balls39", my 04 Z06, I'd make it the Black Wing. Eventually, I will. I just haven't gotten around to it, yet.

How about the c5 callaway honker I understand that the radiator shroud has to be cut.

So now I have three questions:

Anyone have a ball-park figure for what a C5 Z06 radiator shroud would cost? (I believe it would be cheaper in the long run to just purchase a repalcement shroud and store it at home, so that if I ever revert back)

And

I found a link once with some good instructions for installing a "honker" but naturally cannot find it now, anyone out here in cybernod have a link?

And

What is this
"3Balls39"
is that what you call your

Thanks

Hib Halverson said:

Hib, agree the Black Wing looks like a good choice. Question is, do you need to add an air bridge too to really get the most out of the better filter? If so, which one looks to be the best product to tie into the Black Wing? I'm down to deciding between the Black Wing or Halltech setup.

VETTE mag. did a install and test on the Vararam intake.
they got about 12 hp. and ft.lb. at the rear wheels
but cut .46 sec. off 0 to 60 time.
read it at vetteweb.com
or go to mid america motorworks (madvet.com) and find the c5 vararam intake and you see the link. this is the one i am buying for my 04 z06...

Crewchef said:
Hib, agree the Black Wing looks like a good choice. Question is, do you need to add an air bridge too to really get the most out of the better filter? If so, which one looks to be the best product to tie into the Black Wing? I'm down to deciding between the Black Wing or Halltech setup.

Here's some real world data, all I am running on my '04 Z16 is a Blackwing and a carbon fiber high flow duct, and I dyno'd with 375 hp and 360 ft-lbs torque. I knoticed a difference when I put it on, before that I was running a K&N with a modded stock airbox (inlet enlarged by about 50%).

I'm happy with the Blackwing. I am sure they are both good systems. You will probably like either one.
:beer

Lingenfelter - Blackwing

Mine went out to Lingenfelter this Spring and the Donaldson Blackwing air intake system was part of the overall package. After all the years of research and development they've done on 5.7L Vette engines, I'm pretty sure they figured out what works well. In addition the Blackwing just looks "evil".

Remo:cool

Blackwing with factory air bridge here and I felt a difference in performance. I will, however, get a new bridge eventually.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom