Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Air Relay.....again

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
I know I have read about this before, but a search did not find it for me.

So what does this relay do? And more importantly, can I remove it?

The service manual is not much help....the wiring schematic does not go into any details...at least that I have found at this point....still looking.

Appreciate any help here.

Lanny

The Air Relay or perhaps it is AIR Relay is the one located next to the MAP sensor in the bracket bolted to the firewall.

The service manual states this is the AIR RELAY.

If it is part of the AIR managment system, then I have removed all of the AIR components and will have no problems removing it to install my new 5V reference for the MAP sensor.

What you think?

You'll find the Air switching relay on page 6E1-56 Wiring Diagram.

As I see it the air relay is powered through the 20 amp gauge fuse and in turn is used to power or trigger the air switch solenoid and air control solenoid. As I see it you already removed both solenoids so you can safely remove the air relay.
Dark blue will give you 12v and the black/white is ground :)

Greetings Peter

Yes I found figure 6E1-56...after I had posted my question. And then I find out the "real" names for what I have always read and refered to as the "gulp" valve. This is actuall the AIR Switch Solenoid and AIR Control Solenoid. Have never heard of these terms before now.

Anyways, yes Peter you are 100% correct. I removed the AIR relay, and used the +12V and gnd connections for my 5V MAP sensor reference source. Going to see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Lanny

Well...wired-in the adjustable MAP sensor voltage reference; put it in the space that the AIR relay was in. Removed the "C" terminal of the MAP sensor connector and replaced it with one connected to the new adjustable voltage reference.

Started engine and let it get nice and warm.....set the MAP sensor voltage reference to 4.75V and then adjusted the mixture control solenoid for an average of 30.

Went for a drive and I think I can tell a difference.....does not stumble upon take-off like it used to. Got on the throttle really hard once to see if I would get any pre-detonation sounds....but got none....so I guess I am good. The only real way I can think of to actually set this is to use a wide band O2 sensor....which of course I do not have.

Guess I will leave this in for now. I can always put everything back in as it was.

Well I can tell you, the dual wideband ratio meter I have is the best thing I bought in years! :)
If you take a single or dual one is your own choice just get one that can send a simulated narrow band output to the ECM. :)

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom