Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aircon trouble!!

M

mikeyc4

Hi everyone,ive just recently had all my aircon pipes replaced with brand new ones,then i had it regassed with the r134a stuff,when i collected it back it worked fine,but today ive got no aircon again!!Ive checked the obvious like the fuses by the passenger door,but i cant actually hear the compressor clicking,is there anything else i can check,how do i know if the compressers working?Are there any other fuses to check?

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,ive just recently had all my aircon pipes replaced with brand new ones,then i had it regassed with the r134a stuff,when i collected it back it worked fine,but today ive got no aircon again!!.
I'd check the pressure. Sounds to me like you lost your charge..... If the pressures there, then use a paper clip and by pass the low pressure switch. This should cause the compressor to engage.

I'd check the pressure. Sounds to me like you lost your charge..... If the pressures there, then use a paper clip and by pass the low pressure switch. This should cause the compressor to engage.

How do i check for pressure?and whereabouts is this low pressure switch?

How do i check for pressure?and whereabouts is this low pressure switch?
Not sure on a 85, I beleive it's on the accumulator (big silver can). On my 93, its on the line going from the Evaporater to Accumulator. Just pull off the electrical connector and put a jumper (paper clip) into the connector. It's always located on the low side.
I've told people about how to do this before and they jumpered the switch, which will not do anything.
Here is a pic of the switch your looking for... My 93 is the top, a 85 should be the bottom....

10pum8m.gif

10pugsm.jpg

Also, from what I understand the 85 also has a diagnostic buildt in (not positive). Most people think it's only for 90-96's...
Try it and let me know if it works... (I know it works for 87's)
There is a diagnostic mode that can be actuated by pressing and holding the defrost button, then pressing and releasing the Blower Manual Up button. This should cause a number (1 to 9) to be displayed, indicating particular diagnostic Modes. You can advance through these modes by pressing the "Warmer" button and displaying the contents of these modes by pressing the "Cooler" button.Mode 8 displays System Faults, if any.

Also, from what I understand the 85 also has a diagnostic buildt in (not positive). Most people think it's only for 90-96's...
There is a diagnostic mode that can be actuated by pressing and holding the defrost button, then pressing and releasing the Blower Manual Up button. This should cause a number (1 to 9) to be displayed, indicating particular diagnostic Modes. You can advance through these modes by pressing the "Warmer" button and displaying the contents of these modes by pressing the "Cooler" button.Mode 8 displays System Faults, if any.

This would only work with cars equipped with digital climate controsl I would imagine. I am curious to see if this works, I might have to go try it on my car, and see what happens. Thanks for the information that could be very useful.

This would only work with cars equipped with digital climate controsl I would imagine. I am curious to see if this works, I might have to go try it on my car, and see what happens. Thanks for the information that could be very useful.
The diag is in the 87 FSM per the instructions on page 8A-66-1 of the 1987 Electrical Diagnosis Service Manual Supplement.... I'm not sure if it's in the 85.... Probably C68 only, but not sure..

Thanks alot,ill try it later and see what happens,my car has got the digital aircon,and the fault is on my 86 vette,so hopefully its the same as the 87!!

Ill keep everyone informed!

Thanks alot,ill try it later and see what happens,my car has got the digital aircon,and the fault is on my 86 vette,so hopefully its the same as the 87!!

Ill keep everyone informed!
You may want to update your info to the side... It say 1985 :)
EDIT
WOOPS, Didn't see the 86 listed... Kind-of is sneaked in there..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom