Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Airfoil & Maf

maxrevs85

Corvette
!985 ,blue coupe, 4+3 Z51
Will the Aifoil in a stock throttle body inchange with a 52mm TB and has any done there own mods to the maf . If so any feed back on the process. Tpis has a book with all the info , but I dont have it yet . Curious who has done the mods themselves. ;help
I want to do these mods myself and I will be doing the porting on the plenum Too and then buy the runners and manifold from TPIS.
Thanks

Also ,I have looked at the open filter housing and wondering if you cant modify your existing stock one by cutting it out . I did mine last nite . Any problem with that,other than" there goes the stock piece"....LOL

The external opening in the throttle body itself Dave, is the same size as the 48 mm unit that is stock, so there should be no problem with swapping the foils if you wish.

_ken :w

Dave,
Keep us posted on the mods. I'm interested in the results. I'm running pretty much stock and thinking of some easy mods but she runs so good I hate to mess with her. Regarding the open lid, I bought the part only because I wanted to hang on to the original. Ya never know;) No problem in cutting up the old one.

I've got the TPIS book. It's got some useful information, including how to do the MAF mods yourself. Is it worth the $20 or so? Probably... they do honk their own horn a lot but there are some good charts on fuel pressures and such. I took the screens out of my MAF over the weekend and will be installing the airfoil soon (wanted to do a before/after GTech run on that mod).
[RICHR]

Well the Mods are going to come kinda slow and the actual results even slower...the car is on jackstand with the tranny out.I didnt drive the car much after i bought it and it had a bad clutch so I wasnt able to hammer it to see how she ran. I wont be able to compare much . But I've been around the perfomance part long enough ,so I will know what I expect, If that makes any sense....lol....I'm kinda fussy about doing many changes to the car as far as altering stock parts but not totaly. T know I dont like the way they get air to the intake though . I would like to do a better intake..at the filter that is.

yea , relocating the sensor .That is the other thing I need to do.The smooth duct is a good Idea. never could did like the ribbed ones .Gotta be restrictive.. Go9ng to bypass the coolant line to the TB too. I wont do the 160 thermo though, It gets pretty cool here somtimes at night when ya wnat to cruise. I'm really not sold on it anyway. I think you need to run at least 180 to be ok.....must be a drag racer thing...good for short bursts...lol

Speaking of cooling ...to all the vettes have 2 fans...a pusher and a puller? Its an option isnt it..I was noticing the one on the front of the rad. 3 blade I believe.

Bingo .....thats it ...I was looking at my codes and it is on there....is that part of the HD cooling VO8?

maxrevs85 said:
Well the Mods are going to come kinda slow and the actual results even slower...the car is on jackstand with the tranny out.I didnt drive the car much after i bought it and it had a bad clutch so I wasnt able to hammer it to see how she ran. I wont be able to compare

Souds like the condition my 86 was in. Bought it end of October, didn't get to really drive it until almost New Years because of the clutch and waiting for parking brake stuff.

Gotta find one of those smooth ducts...

Maxrev,

The 52mm TB from TPiS comes with an airfoil built in. That is why I posted my old airfoil on the sale board for a whopping $10. Looks like Twiget is going to be the lucky new owner.

I assume it would fit either one as Ken mentioned as 48 or 52mm.

Everything you mentioned will work. I popped the screens in my 85 model and used a nice new hacksaw blade with the mass air flow sensor in the vice to slowly and carefully hack out the heat sinkers.

That is one nice thing about the 90-91 models. No Mass Air Flow to worry about anymore.

Chris

69MyWay said:
That is one nice thing about the 90-91 models. No Mass Air Flow to worry about anymore.

But isn't MAP a less reliable way to measure air intake, so they went back to MAF? :confused

_ken :w

Yep, MAF is more "sensative" to changes in atmosphere, etc, and provides more real time calibration.

However, at WOT it does not matter anymore. So, If you drive like me :_rock WOT is all that matters! Plus, it is less expensive to maintain and repair.

I have my maf out and am ready to do it to it....you answered my question that I didnt ask about the fins. Had it figured anyway.:D
I'also opened up my own air filter box with a diegrinder and cut off wheels (came out nice) and am looking into opening up the air box in the inlet to the radiator and closing back up the filterbox so that it takes its air directly from the front radiator intake. Then work my way up with the Maf and a smooth intake boot etc.....uhoh for shame !! I'm cutting up origanal parts :eek......

MAF sensor on my 86. I took out the screens, then carefully clamped it in a milling machine vise and milled out the internal fins, it definately opens up a small amount of volume. Good luck. It is a pretty delicate piece. If it jumps out of the mill vise, say good by.
You have the right idea about opening up the air cleaner etc.

goin' fastsa'-woohoo!

hI GUYS! Just wanna jump in here and ask if any one has done the tpi fuel press. reg and is it worth it? im about to get my intake manifold gasket redone (coolant leak in the back (3RD C4-SAME LEAK!!))--so...... while its apart.........wadda ya think?--also. a lil food for thought- b4 i got to be an independant (read divorced) sorta person my signif. other wouldnt let me have a vette----i was shocked!! as any of you woulda been----she hid this fobia about vettes--making analogies about the cars and phalic symbols and such rot well- never woulda guessed --any way i digress---- i had a 350 tpi iroc brand new 206 miles on it i installed a nos kit in it u wanna talk some fun what a kick in the pants this is -and the motor gave me no problems right up untill i spun that crank bearing at 21,000 miles.- it was worth it ----- and chevy gave me a new short block gr8 peeps them chevy guys-------a tpi vette with it has to be better----just thinking of it -makes me wanna go get one now. wadda ya think?
:w scott :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom