Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

alignment, pulling

jbonifas

Corvette
1981 silver/blue: two tone
I am sure this has been discussed many times, but I will bring it up again because I can't find the answer. 1981 obvioiusly I need to find someone locally that has expertise in Corvettes, but, I didn't. The guy at Goodyear seemed to know what he was doing. The car was pulling to the right. He adjusted everything he said he could and it made it somewhat better. The problem he said was that he needed to take another shim out, but there were no more to take out. My simple mind thinks, why not just put a few back in to balance thing out. Anyway, what is the deal. If you look at the upper control arms:
# shims on Left side at the front is "0" and back is "5"
# shims on Right side at the front is "0" and back "1". He says sometimes if you replace the bushings etc, you may get it better. Does this mean anything to anyone and if so, where to I go! :confused :confused

Just a few idea's..

JB,
If you have a good body shop around there, one that you "Trust" it may be a good idea to put your L81 on a Frame machine and have it checked. Make sure the measurements are within factory specs.. If I remember correctly, you aren't sure of the history of your car, this may save you a lot of headaches..

Other thoughts:
  1. How are the trailing arms?
  2. What are rear suspension rubber like, not just the spring but all of them?
  3. Is the alignment being done on a 4-wheel machine and does the tech know about Corvettes, and have the specs?
  4. Do you notice any movement from the rear end at different speeds, or when accelerating at cruising speeds?
  5. Are the tires wearing evenly?

When I followed you through Tennesee I didn't notice your car dog tracking or crab walking..

BudD
:w

Thanks Bud,
I already talked to a guy that said he would put it up and check out if the frame needed work or what. The read suspension is good, new bushings, good spring and new shocks. We'll let you know, Thanks
Jeff

jbonifas said:
(snip)
shims on Left side at the front is "0" and back is "5"
# shims on Right side at the front is "0" and back "1". He says sometimes if you replace the bushings etc, you may get it better. Does this mean anything to anyone and if so, where to I go!
Usually it means one of three things:
1) the service tech is correct in that there might be some other suspension parts that need to be repaired or replaced before the car can be aligned properly. This can be problems other than bushings, too, such as bent control arms.
2) the car was wrecked and the frame was damaged and either not repaired or repaired poorly.
3) outside chance the frame may be cracked. High mileage C3s do that around the front lower control arm pickup points, in the area of the steering box "hole". Sometimes this may affect aligment.

Lastly, with a "pulling" problem it's always wise to make sure the root cause not a tire problem, first. Check that by swapping the fronts side-to-side. If the pull switches directions, you've got a tire problem. If it stays the same, it's not tires.

Hib
Thanks for the reply. The frame does look like it is cracked. What do you do? Already checked the tires, swapped, no change. I guess I send to frame shop and get recommendation.
Thanks.
Jeff

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom