Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! All the dreaded messages at once !!

coreysteffel

I have a 2003 Z06. A few months back I got the "service column lock" messages, added the part to fix that issue and the car ran fine. I drive the car 2-3 times a month if this matters. The other day went to start the car and all HELL breaks loose, got service active handling and reduced engine power. Charged the battery over night, no help. Disconnected battery cables, charged over night and the car cranked, moved it 60' then same issue. Took the battery out and replaced it, car cranked then same thing. I unhooked battery cables, help them together for 20 seconds to do a reset, car cranked then all over again after sitting for a little while. I have unhooked anything that would be draining the battery, tested battery when car was down and when it was running and is showing the same output. Seems like it will sit for an hour or so then go to hell. I have made sure no dampness was at the passengers side floor board that might cause issues. I am up for trying anything at this point. Thanks in advance

I pulled all the codes today and here is the list: 1000, 1064, 1176, 1160. They are Loss of communication undetermined, LOC w/ BCM, LOC w/RFA and LOC w/LDCM. Anyone have any clues at all ?? This is killing me

Last edited:
I have a 2003 Z06. A few months back I got the "service column lock" messages, added the part to fix that issue and the car ran fine. I drive the car 2-3 times a month if this matters. The other day went to start the car and all HELL breaks loose, got service active handling and reduced engine power. Charged the battery over night, no help. Disconnected battery cables, charged over night and the car cranked, moved it 60' then same issue. Took the battery out and replaced it, car cranked then same thing. I unhooked battery cables, help them together for 20 seconds to do a reset, car cranked then all over again after sitting for a little while. I have unhooked anything that would be draining the battery, tested battery when car was down and when it was running and is showing the same output. Seems like it will sit for an hour or so then go to hell. I have made sure no dampness was at the passengers side floor board that might cause issues. I am up for trying anything at this point. Thanks in advance

Are we still using the original battery? It sounds as if the battery has taken a dump on you!

BigJim, I installed a new battery already. I thought the same thing but its a no go.

Is the new battery up to at least the original spec? What about the side terminal connections? The bolt side of the terminal that you can't readily see? Terminal torque spec? I really dislike the side terminals because of the blind connection... Is the terminal bolt bottoming out before the terminal is actually tight?? If all is OK at the battery, what about the next major B+ connection on the starter solenoid... etc.!!!
I would suspect the problem is at the battery!

Your problem sounds like the classic ignition switch (electrical). The switch contacts get "burned" and reduce the voltage in the affected circuits. I can tell you how to verify if you know how to do electrical circuit testing with an ohmmeter and voltmeter. Can also provide the link to access it, replace it, or clean the contacts.

You should ALWAYS pull your DIC codes when you have problems.

dadaroo, yes, please send that link and anymore info you have. Greatly appreciated !

BigJim, no battery issues at all. Same as factory specs and starter wire is fine.

Here is a link on checking ignition circuit voltages. You must know what the actual (measured at the battery) battery voltage is to do any comparison.

Corvette Forum - View Single Post - C5 Ignition Switch Repair

Where are your codes??????????? That is where you need to start FIRST.

Record them and clear them and then start and drive the car again and then pull them again, preferably before you shut the engine off.

I pulled all the codes today and here is the list: 1000, 1064, 1176, 1160. They are Loss of communication undetermined, LOC w/ BCM, LOC w/RFA and LOC w/LDCM. Anyone have any clues at all ?? This is killing me

You seem to have a serial bus issue. That is the system that is the brains of the car. Quite often one of the wires gets grounded or a critical one gets disconnected and throws everything into chaos.

Here is a link that may help you or confuse you. I have solved numerous issues like this. That is why the codes are so important to tell me where to look. Look at this info and then I suggest you PM me with your phone number so I can help explain what you need to do so you truly understand.

Pull back your passenger carpet and make sure the area around the BCM is NOT wet or damp. Udders for the cowl or A/C drain can get clogged and put water into the car and the electronics. The connections are not water proof like in the engine compartment.

Also a first quick check is to pull the accordion boots back from each door A-pillar and access the connector. Lightly shake the wiring and/or pull the connector apart, inspect, and reinstall and see if it helps.

My C5 dash has gone nuts and I have every message there is!!! - Corvette Forum

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom