Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

All tire pressure sensors read XXX

napacruzerC5

Corvette
'01 TR M6, '07 MS A6
Went on a 75 miles drive today and checked the tire pressures about 10 miles into my drive. Pressures read 28 all around which is about 2lbs lower than my dial gauge read a couple of days ago. After about 50 freeway miles checked again (I check often since I run non-runflat Kumho MXs and want early warning if I'm loosing pressure) and they all read XXX. I few miles from my desitination I checked again and still XXX all around. All other gauges seemed to be working fine so the problem had to be the sensors. I parked the car at my destination and then on my way home checked it again a few miles into my drive home and they still all read XXX. Checked again nearer to home and no change. Sensors are orginal mounted on OEM wheels (3rd set of tires) with 45k on the 2001 Coupe with an in service date of Sept 2000. Could the sensors all decide to die today? Or is it an ECM or other sensor reader problem?

How are the temps out there? It's just about this time of year on the nose that I usually get all of the hard-wire/battery back up smoke detectors chirping away. And there are never enough 9V's in the house for them all except for the two 'hold-outs" that are hiding and waiting till two-inna'-hey-emm to go off when it hits 48 in the house.

And ..... noticed my tires that had held a 32 constant are now down to 28 today ..... cooler weather?

Ah ...... and in a few weeks we will see the failure of the headlights as the temps hit the 30 mark!

:)

I've had this happen to my 03 after it was setting a couple weeks when it was new,I just reset them and it's not happened again!!;shrug;shrug;shrug
I'd think if it is the batteries in them they wouldn't all go at the same time!;shrug Try resetting them,you don't need the Special tool a old speaker magnet will do the trick!!:thumb

Document ID# 1397366
2001 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette
Tire Pressure Sensor Learn

Tools Required
J 41760 Tire Pressure Sensor Activating Tool
TPM Learn Mode Description

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system uses the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR), body control module (BCM), driver information center (DIC), 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors, and the serial data circuit to perform the TPM learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed after a tire pressure sensor, or RCDLR replacement. Once the learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors unique identification (Id) codes can be learned into the RCDLR's memory. After the RCDLR has received a sensor transmission, it sends a serial data message to the BCM to sound a horn chirp. This verifies the sensor has transmitted its Id and the RCDLR has received and learned it. The RCDLR must learn each sensor's Id in the proper order to determine sensor location. The first learned Id is assigned to the left front location, the second to right front, the third to right rear, and forth to left rear.
Sensor Functions

Each sensor has am internal magnetic reed switch. When the J 41760 sensor activating tool is held close to the sensor, the reed switch closes, activating the sensor. The sensor responds to a magnetic activation by transmitting in learn mode. When the RCDLR receives a learn mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensor Id to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.
TPM Learn Mode Cancellation

The RCDLR will cancel the TPM learn mode if the ignition is turned OFF, more than 1 minute has passed and no sensor Ids have been learned, or if more than 5 minutes have passed for the entire procedure. If the learn mode is cancelled before any sensor Ids are learned, the RCDLR will remember all previously stored Ids and their locations. As soon as the RCDLR learns the first sensor Id, all previously stored Ids are erased from the RCDLR's memory.
  1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. Press the DIC RESET button in order to clear any warning messages. Press and release the OPTIONS button until the display is blank. Press and hold the RESET button for 3 seconds.
    Important

If the DIC does not display the TIRE TRAINING message, ensure the TPM option is enabled in the RCDLR. Refer to Scan Tool Output Controls .

Press and release the OPTIONS button until TIRE TRAINING is displayed. Press and release the RESET button and LEARN L FRONT TIRE is displayed, verifying the mode has been enabled.
    Important

If a horn chirp does not sound after 15 seconds, remove then reinstall the sensor activating tool.

Starting at the left front sensor, hold the J 41760 over the valve stem until a horn chirp sounds. After the horn chirp sounds, proceed as in step 7 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
    1. Right front,Right rear
    2. Left rear
  2. Turn the ignition OFF to exit the learn mode.
Document ID# 1397366
2001 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette

Update

Got all ready to do the relearn...and nothing happened with the first one (LF). So hit reset then for the hell of it went to gauges and viola...the pressures were back. Sometimes this Corvette can drive me crazy! ;LOL

Lets see what happens in a day or 2. Maybe it is time to replace all the sensors.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom