Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

almost done

C

cmegga

should be coming out this tues.

Heads Edelbrock Perfomer RPM 60899
Cam Comp Cams Extreme Enegry CL12-242-2
Timing Chain Cloyes ‘True’ Double Roller 220-9-3100
Water Pump Edelbrock Victor 8812
Carborator Edelbrock Performer 750 CFM 350-1411
Intake Manofold Edlebrock Performer 350-2101
Header’s Headman 68300
Rocker Arms Comp CamsMagnum 249-1412-16
Lifters Comp Cams High Energy 249-812-16
Pushrods Comp Cams Magnum 1010 Chrome Moly 249-7693-16
Ignition MSD Ignition 6A 6200
Head Gasket FEL-PRO Pre-Flattened Steel 1003
Exhaust Gasket FEL-PRO Pre-Flattened Steel 1405
Intake Gasket FEL-PRO Pre-Flattened Steel 1205
Mufflers Mil-City Twin Tip Performer Series 603922

Lookin good, take plenty of pictures and let us know how the startup goes.:cool

You sure have a nice list of parts. She is gonna scream (the wife too when she sees the parts bill!).

What other mods are you doing?

Not too much more after this, I just finished the interior a few weels ago. The only other things I am planning on are a new suspension package, new gear for the back end and a paint job that. I am going to need a new front bumber and taller hood when she gets painted.

That should be it. But Im sure I will run into some more work as I go.

Just picked her up last night. Very pleased with the increase in power. I put my foot down at 55 and she cut loose. Huge diffrence form the car I was driving before.

I am a bit disapionted that it still has no low end power. The set up I have claims to put out 400hp, Im sure its not quite that. Still much more then the stock 180hp and I still cant even get a cherp out of the tires off the line. Not sure what the factory gear is and if that is the issue, but It is a total dog until I hit about 15-20 mph. Then it turns on great once I break that point but I was hoping to see a better responce after all this work. And not really crazy about the labor the want to go in and change the gears.

If I do go with a gear what is a good low to mid range way to go??

I'm not surprised with the lack of low end. That looks to me like cam selection. You probably aren't making really good power until you hit at least 2500 RPM or so. Torque is probably VERY low off idle. Low end is dependent on a number of factors including intake port velocity, quench distance, exhaust system, cam overlap, etc.

Gearing will play a big part in how hard you launch with your combo. This includes transmission gearing, that is, are you running a TH350, 400 or 700R4. They all have differing 1st gear ratios. Final drive ratio also affects the launch. Torque converter. Are you running a stock converter? If so, you might consider going to at least a 2500 RPM stall converter. A good speed shop can help direct you as to exactly what combo to run.

Good luck with it. Keep us all posted!!

I could not have said it any better than Rpounds. I was looking at your engine combo, and you really need a good stall converter and steep gear to make that work right.

I would suggested a minimum of 3.55 rear gears. A set of 3.7 series would be the real ticket. With that combo tuned right and the right gears....IF you get traction you will be able to make a ZO6 look bad.

And IF you figure out how to get traction, please let me know...
I own a 76 vette, unfortunately mine is an automatic L-48. You know, 3.08 gear, lucky to do 20 second 1/4mile from the factory model =( I have done a lot to mine, clocked it at 19.2 in the 1/4 mile when I first got the car. I later added 700R4 trans (3.08 first gear, with OD), hooker supercompetition headers/sidepipes *very restrictive*, dual quads, and a full race cam *kicks in @ 3500rpm... With these mods, I still did a pathetic 15.8 @ 87.9 miles per hour... 0-60 was 7.10. I do have a 2500 stall speed converter, but was running .5 slower using it in 0-60 and 1/4 mile... I did run open headers, and ran 14.89@95.8mph. 0-60 6.48seconds. I later found out distributor was retarding if you hit the throttle to below 8 degrees at 3000 rpm. Still was running slower with stall speed by .5 still can't get rubber... I have 255/60/r15s. I then put on two brand new edlebrocks 1405s, and had the distributor set up, the sprial inserts from JCL installed, and converted over to a 4.11 rear end. Well... To say the least, 0-60 without stall speed 5.80 seconds, with the stall speed... good luck, haven't got traction yet. At about 1800rpm I burn them, and sit there roasting them and going sideways. I come off the gas, and will start to move slowly roasting and roasting them. Cam kicks in @3500 rpm, so I am losing a good .5-.75 on 0-60 due to not using stall speed. Oh, and to top it off.... Was heading to the track in about an hour, fell, broke right ankle. Won't know 1/4 mile time soon =(
So, your right, all the mods don't mean a thing without a gear to back it up =) Enjoy your toy =)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom