Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Almost got a ticket

ebarber

Corvette
2002 Electron blue vert
Well my wife and I drove all over this memorial day weekend. We live in central Ohio. On Saturday we drove to the Homer Laughlin Co (Fiesta ware) in Newell, WV to check it out. No laughing guys the Fiesta Ware was for her but the drive was for me hahaha. Drove up 7 on the Ohio side and down 2 on the WV side. Beautiful day and beautiful roads. In Wheeling we ate dinner at a little restaurant called Uncle Pete's and had myself a couple Yuenglings and we headed back home. Anyhow right around 300 mi on Sat. On Sunday we drove down to the Ikea store in Cincinnati (again guys for her:L) And racked up about 300 miles that day.
Yesterday we head up the road and go through a little village and get pulled over for no front plate.
I cant tell you how many troopers etc we passed all weekend with no problems but go up the road through a little one horse town and get stopped.
Luckily no ticket because I knew him but I think he would have if I didn't.

I have been looking at other vettes since I bought it and no one Ive seen does the front plate thing but I am thinking I might have to.

Any other Ohio vetters do the front plate?

Got one in Neu Yawk, out in the country, and that's why he pulled me over, sigh.

ALSO wrote me for lightly tinted windows. Yep, laws against that sort of thing in this state.

$110 for no front plate. I have my front one on there now, using one of those clear front pieces. I guess it will have to do.

Jim

They are required in Colorado as well. Did the clear front plate thing also. It looks pretty good.

They are required in Colorado as well. Did the clear front plate thing also. It looks pretty good.

They are required in Colorado, and yet I have never used a front plate on any Corvette I've ever owned. It just looks wrong.

There's only been one time I was pulled over for not having a front plate, and it happened in the fall of 2002, shortly after I got my first Corvette. The cop was a lady who noticed my lack of front plate from across an intersection. I was making a left turn, waiting for the light, and she was on the opposite side of the street, in the right turn pocket lane. When I made my turn, she turned on the lights, and then noticed I did have my rear plates and tags on, and they were all correct.

So when she asked me why I didn't have my front plate in, I played dumb: I said I didn't know how to get the front cover off. She walked to the front of my car and examined it, and after a few moments, she agreed she couldn't figure it out, either. She suggested I go visit a Chevy dealer and get help figuring it out, but didn't give me a ticket.

In the seven years since, I've never gotten so much as a second glance from any law enforcement type about my lack of a front plate. I suspect enforcing this particular regulation, in states that require front plates, is a fairly low priority. If you do get pulled over and the reason is that you don't have a front plate, my bet is that the cop is probably looking for other violations.

Mind you, I'm not advocating that you don't comply with the law if your state does require them, this is just my own take on the matter. I'm a rebel, so I'll live with the consequences. :)

Mind you, I'm not advocating that you don't comply with the law if your state does require them, this is just my own take on the matter. I'm a rebel, so I'll live with the consequences. :)

You're avatar is right then...you are Bad Patrick! :D

I had though about going rear plate only, but the military base I work on is cracking down on it. I kid you not, for an entire week the security forces were stopping every car the saw without a front plate when they tried entering the gate. Tickets were issued. Traffic to get on base was lined up crazy! Since eveyone seems to have gotten the message, you don't see many people pulled over now, but the base commander made it clear that this is one of his priorities for the security forces. :eyerole

I lived in Texas (a 2-plate state) for 3 years a while back and never put a front plate on any of the Vettes. I always had them in the car behind the passenger seat just in case. Never got stopped. I had friends and other Vette owners get stopped for no front plate but not me.

Moved back to Oklahoma a few years ago. OK is a single plate state - unless you have personalized plates, then you have to have 2 plates; one on the car and one in the trunk. Sometimes the cops want to see both.

One can assume that with the proliferation of camera enforcement of traffice rules, more states might switch to 2-plate requirements. I hope not.

I REFUSE to put a front plate on my car. I just keep and eye out and if one comes out, I take it out from behind the passenger seat and place the plate on the dash. And thats that, Period. And if I still get a ticket its worth it, and I'll tell the cop that too. Thats such a B.S. ticket. I guess its a good thing you knew him. Yes I do have issues with cops!!! :puke:mad:mad:mad

As more and more cities go broke...more and more enforcement of laws aimed at adding more $$$ into cities' budgets. Have the front plate on my C5 but have resisted, so far, from installing the front plate on the C6.

Thanks Guys for the responses. I think I might just avoid that town from here on out and push my luck just a bit more I guess;shrug Well see how it goes from here on out. Its not an everyday driver and I dont hit the bars anymore :beer I just cant bring myself to put that gaudy plate on the front. Maybe a $70 ticket will change my mind :eek:hnoes but I hope it dosent come to that.

i am not bashing cops< but wen i have needed help (ex wife drama), i was less than thrilled by the actions of the law. im just saying that with all the bad shit happening in this great country, i think a plate ticket is such a waste of time. i was once harrassed buy the cops because i looked like someone breaking into cars. the shitty part was i had my son with me on my way to work at 6 in the morning. so not only was i late to my sitter and a very scared 8 year old. i was late to work too. so after the cop saw i was not who he was looking for he still insisted on running my licence etc etc. he still kept me knowing that i was going to be late and had the balls to laff about it. i have only got a seatbelt ticket in my life ( also a bullshit ticket) but i am waiting for the good part of the law to show its face. sorry if i offended you. i treat people how i would want to be treated. all i ask is they do the same. is that to much?

Massachusetts Requires A Front Plate

Remo:cool

2564495910103361744S600x600Q85.jpg

I have a few LEO friends one of which owns a vette too. I'm actually going to join the same vette club he is in:beer. Any how he said that no one has EVER pulled him over for his and hes had his for a long time.

I think I was just lucky. The LEO that pulled me over has been there in the that little one horse town for about 30 years. Hes also infamous for pulling over for any infraction, no matter how minor. I'm just glad I knew him:D

When I was working I used to see Corvette's all the time with no front plate and never pulled them over unless there were some other reason. Leave them alone and use the "no front plate" as probable cause at another time.

Illinois has a front plate. My husband put a remote front plate on our car. When the car is parked for show he hits the button and the plate slides under the car. Pretty neat.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom