Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Also a New CE LT4 Owner

1996 LT4 Topic

Silverfox1

Corvette
1995 Red ZR-1
Finally made my bucket list - found a coupe w/28000 mi in NH & just brought it out to SoCal. Loaded w/top Bose, damping suspension, low tire pressure monitor, 2 tops.

But I have question. We're having a heat wave here (100+) & car is running about 225 coolant temp, even at night. Is that considered high? Normal? Cleaned out what little amount of debris there was in front of radiator. Coolant was changed 4 years ago @ 24000 mi. Maybe a sticky thermostat? Appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.

Rob
West Hills, CA

Attachments

• 107_2798.jpg
    107_2798.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 107_2799.jpg
    107_2799.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
First of all congrat's on your new ride :thumb For the temp, don't worry that's normal. during the summer when i drive mine and it's hot out or sitting at a light longer than usual the temp creeps up sometimes to 230 maybe 234 but thats when the fans kick on and it starts to drop. when you been driving for awhile it's usually around 200. also did you have the car shipped fron n.h. or did you drive it? :beer

First of all congrat's on your new ride :thumb For the temp, don't worry that's normal. during the summer when i drive mine and it's hot out or sitting at a light longer than usual the temp creeps up sometimes to 230 maybe 234 but thats when the fans kick on and it starts to drop. when you been driving for awhile it's usually around 200. also did you have the car shipped fron n.h. or did you drive it? :beer
Thanks, that's really helpful. I'd always heard vettes had a tendency to run hot. I had it shipped by Intercity - did a great job. Used an inspection service to verify & seller & I developed a lot of trust. Worked out just fine for both of us. The car is off the scale on the "fun factor." Have no intentions of modifying, but will eventually get around to a dyno.http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/images/smilies/thanks.gifhttp://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/images/smilies/beerchug.gif(Not quite sure how to work these icons yet)

:welcome

Nice choice. Had one of those myself a few years back.

Temps are normal. My LT4's temp, in Houston heat and slow traffic, would creap up into the 230s also but never above 240. The fans kick in and keep it below there. Once on the move again, the temp dropped back to around 200. It's all normal on hot days.

Enjoy.

Congrats on your new CE and welcome to the :CAC

As for the icons - if you simply click on the icon you want to insert, the site software will include it in your post, as it did for me above. if that doesn't work, place your pointer over the icon, right-click and select "copy", then "paste" it in your post.

Enjoy your new C4 and the forums!
:wJane Ann:w

:welcome

Nice choice. Had one of those myself a few years back.

Temps are normal. My LT4's temp, in Houston heat and slow traffic, would creap up into the 230s also but never above 240. The fans kick in and keep it below there. Once on the move again, the temp dropped back to around 200. It's all normal on hot days.

Enjoy.

Thanks Tuna:thanks:

Congrats on your new CE and welcome to the :CAC

As for the icons - if you simply click on the icon you want to insert, the site software will include it in your post, as it did for me above. if that doesn't work, place your pointer over the icon, right-click and select "copy", then "paste" it in your post.

Enjoy your new C4 and the forums!
:wJane Ann:w

:thanks:Think I got it now, Jane Ann. Thx

Congrats Newb and Welcome!

Congrats and welcome! I also loved the wheels on the CE, would love a set. Had the same temp issues for a while this past summer. Got mine in June and the first thing I did was pull out the forest left behind by the last owner. Even had to get a vacuum in there, wife wanted to kill me for modifying the end of the hose so it was down to about 3/4" but was slicker n snot on a roosters beek!

Cheers, :beer

Congrats and welcome! I also loved the wheels on the CE, would love a set. Had the same temp issues for a while this past summer. Got mine in June and the first thing I did was pull out the forest left behind by the last owner. Even had to get a vacuum in there, wife wanted to kill me for modifying the end of the hose so it was down to about 3/4" but was slicker n snot on a roosters beek!Cheers, :beer[

Last edited:
Rob,

Congrats on the CE, welcome to CAC. I had considered that very same CE, but I decided I didn't want to deal with the additional logistics of evaluating/buying/shipping or driving home an out of state vehicle more than 250 miles from home. Enjoy and save the wave.:w

Congrats, the LT4 is an awesome Corvette, I miss mine :(.

As everyone said, the engine temps are normal in your temperatures. I had a programmer change my fans to come on at 200 degrees just because and now it never gets over 204 even during the summer sitting at a light.

Rob,

Congrats on the CE, welcome to CAC. I had considered that very same CE, but I decided I didn't want to deal with the additional logistics of evaluating/buying/shipping or driving home an out of state vehicle more than 250 miles from home. Enjoy and save the wave.:w

Hey Vette Flyer,

Imagine the logistics being all the way on the Left Coast. But the seller was a really nice guy & we made it work. And it was worth it. Thanks for the welcome. :w

Rob

Congrats, the LT4 is an awesome Corvette, I miss mine :(.

As everyone said, the engine temps are normal in your temperatures. I had a programmer change my fans to come on at 200 degrees just because and now it never gets over 204 even during the summer sitting at a light.

Hiya Slim:

I like your idea of changing the start temp. I'll look into that. Sorry you don't still have that LT4. I like it more every time I drive it. Funny, I used to think my ultimate Vette fantasy was a '67 427-435hp. Then I parked next to one at a car show last week, looked at both cars & thought I was the lucky one.

Where are you in Idaho? My retirement plan is to eventually get to the Boise area (still like my football!). :beer

Welcome to the CAC. As you're already finding out, there's a great deal of knowledge here and everyone is pretty darn nice!

Also, nice choice in buying your Vette! :Steer

Welcome to the CAC. As you're already finding out, there's a great deal of knowledge here and everyone is pretty darn nice!

Also, nice choice in buying your Vette! :Steer

Thanks, this sounds like a pretty nice group of folks & I look forward to learning more about my "baby." Geez, our cars look like twins!:happyanim:

Congrats on the new ride! :cool!: Think I'm a little biased? ;)

As far as your airflow is concerned. The area between the A/C condenser and the radiator is the one which really fills up with debris.

There is a small cutout on the passenger side of the shroud. I usually point a mild spray of water from a garden hose to clean the dirt & debris from that area.

Do not use much pressure because you can bend the radiator fins.

As mentioned above, a simple reprogramming of the fans will lower the temps significantly.

Keep on enjoying your new Vette!

And while driving that beast, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

Congrats on the new ride! :cool!: Think I'm a little biased? ;)

As far as your airflow is concerned. The area between the A/C condenser and the radiator is the one which really fills up with debris.

There is a small cutout on the passenger side of the shroud. I usually point a mild spray of water from a garden hose to clean the dirt & debris from that area.

Do not use much pressure because you can bend the radiator fins.

As mentioned above, a simple reprogramming of the fans will lower the temps significantly.

Keep on enjoying your new Vette!

And while driving that beast, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE!

Thanks LT4man. I love the car & enjoying this forum. BTW, is that the Torch Red interior you have? I tried to find that one, but at the right options, mileage & condition, just didn't work out.
:w

Sounds Good!

Hello and congrats on the new ride!!

I had to check under the car cover in my garage to see if mine was still there as we have the same colour combination and similar mileage!

You'll love the LT4 and the temperature ranges sound normal for your car. Now if I could find a way to have the fans come on earlier, I'd be happy with that.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Hello and congrats on the new ride!!

I had to check under the car cover in my garage to see if mine was still there as we have the same colour combination and similar mileage!

You'll love the LT4 and the temperature ranges sound normal for your car. Now if I could find a way to have the fans come on earlier, I'd be happy with that.

Cheers!!

Thanks for the welcome, Clive. I am lovin it, for sure. Re the fans, I was told they can be programmed to come on at lower temp.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom