Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Alternator problem?

Larry82

Corvette
82 Silver
Suddenly yesterday after driving through a car wash (touchless type, no strips hitting car), my battery guage light comes on and the battery charging level is very low. Have to gun motor and it will return to right level, but, if idling at a light or something, will drop way down again. Does this sound like the alternator is going out, or is gone already?

Here lately everyone is having alternator probs, sounds like a conspriacy.

Since the amps go up when you gun it, it may be that there is drain in the system but it is likely that the alternator or the voltage regulator is crapping out and not cranking the juice you need. Get it tested if you don't have the equipment to do it so you'll know if it's the alt or the volt regulator. My thinking is that if it were already gone, gunning the motor would not make the amps go up since a dead one puts out zilch.

Here's another recent thread about a similar problem.

Good Luck!

- Eric:w

Alternator trouble

Larry and Shark - getting mine tested tomorrow just in case, but seems to be ok. I wonder if it ended up being a piece of fiberglass from the hood falling onto the engine and burning??

Let you know more tomorrow...Mike (great day today here to ride top off...wow)

:D

Drove all day today....nada..all ok. I had it checked out thoroughly today. Must have been something that fell on the engine from the insulation on the hood...

Pegasys said:
Drove all day today....nada..all ok. I had it checked out thoroughly today. Must have been something that fell on the engine from the insulation on the hood...

Cool, that kinda stuff does happen from time to time. I drove over some tracks once in one of the other cars and the steering got really sloppy. I was close to my mechanic's shop so I drove there slowly and cautiously. He checked it out and said he could see nothing wrong. When I got back in, steering was back to normal and has been ever since - go figure.

- Eric

Eric,

I actually went to a specialty Vet repair place here in Toronto today and gave them a list of need to dos all the way to would like to do and the costs actually weren't too bad. The going rate here is $68/hr in Canadian dollars plus parts....pretty consistent in the few I did check.

Top of my list is fixing the harness belt on the driver's side. I think legally it should be used along with the lap belt. I did spend $250 today on replacing the bushings on the sway bar and both brake line tubes...ouch... anyway, all is perfect again...for today anyway.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom