Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aluminum radiator ? for '79 L-82

B

Bob_K

I've read in a bunch of places that there may be a generic chevy radiator that will fit with some hose modifications. Does anyone have a part number for it? I don't mind modifying hoses or putting flexible hoses in, but I really don't feel like modifying the mounts. Worst case, there's one on ebay right now that is a direct fit specifically for 'Vettes that includes an electric fan and is still about the same price as a Be Cool w/o the fan. I'd just rather save the money to spend on other "go fast" parts if I can get a generic to fit.

If you really want to save money, there is an auction on ebay right now for a heavy duty 4 row brass/copper corvette 77-82 replacement radiator for $139.00 "by it now" with $25.00 for shipping. My 3 row 30 year old brass/copper radiator with electric fan has never exceeded 190 degrees.

Replace existing radiator with a Griffin Aluminum and your problems will be over. Check out dewitts.com.

I want the aluminum to save weight. As long as I'm replacing it I'd like the upgrade. The one DeWits tells you to use is like $500. I read some post about a $300 universal chevy aluminum you can use (I think griffin made it) but I need a part number. None of the ones I see look like they'll fit. There's also a Be Cool scratch and dent type on ebay right now, but I want to steer clear of that.

There are universal fit and direct fit aluminum radiators. The universal fit is less money but you have to do modifications to make it fit and work. The direct fit are more money but like clar 2001 said "plug and play".

Maybe I'll just do the direct fit with fan that's on eBay right now then. It's about the same as I would pay off eBay without the fan.

I have a Griffin in my '77. Fits like a glove, runs cool and looks great. Keeping your Vette cool is a great investment in the long run. I was told to use the orange anti-freeze not the green with the aluminum radiator.

Can you switch anti freeze if your running green is there a Compatibility proplem what makes orange better ?

Which Griffin are you running JB?

I've heard that there is a compatability problem between the two. I would think though that if you do a quality flush you should be able to switch. I'm not positive on that though.

Car hovers around 185/190" with the green so no need to switch, just courious.
Griffin Aluminum Rad, spaul duell fans ,stewart hi flow water pump ,180"hi flow stat .

It's the replacement from Corvette Central #243014 for 77- 82, 4-speed. Griffin recomends the orange anti-freeze.

A radiator is the LAST place to "save money", especially if you plan on go-fast mods that will increase heat input beyond what you have now; don't just buy a radiator "that fits" - make sure you get one with at least as much or more actual cooling capacity (heat rejection capability) than the original, or you'll be looking for another one soon, and changing them isn't fun.

The orange coolant ("Dexcool"-type formulation) will make no difference in cooling vs. the conventional green coolant - it allegedly has a better anti-corrosion inhibitor package. However, you'll lose the claimed "long-life" feature if you put it in a system that's had ordinary green coolant in it (that's in very small print on the container), so you still need to change it every two years, so why change it? GM is still having field problems (gooey sludge formation when exposed to air in the cooling system) with it - I'd stick with the conventional green stuff.
:beer

I think that you mistunderstood. I don't plan on buying a piece of junk. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to spend $500 on a "direct fit" or if I'd be better off buying and aluminum 31"x19" and doing some bracket modification. $200 will buy a lot of bracket.

I went the universal aluminum route.

If I had to do it again, I'd spring the extra bucks for the direct-fit aluminum radiator.

My two cents,
Joe

Bob_K said:
I think that you mistunderstood. I don't plan on buying a piece of junk. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to spend $500 on a "direct fit" or if I'd be better off buying and aluminum 31"x19" and doing some bracket modification. $200 will buy a lot of bracket.

Why not just use the correct stock radiator for your car? Are you having overheating problems?

Right now I'm running at 220 degrees without A/C. This winter I plan on doing an overhaul of the engine, replacing the tranny, rebuilding the rear end, and overhauling the cooling system. If there's any money left over I'll be adding A/C to my non A/C car. I like the better cooling capacity of the aluminum since I plan on making between 350-400 hp, but even more than that I like the weight savings.

I installed a "Be Cool" direct-fit aluminum radiator - went in like a charm & has a transmission cooler built right in - a lot cooler in this Texas heat than ever before ...

You might want to take a look at "Be Cool" ..

:w :beer :)

DON&KELLY

I HAVE A 79 AND IM LOOKING TO PUT AN BE COOL ALUMINUM RADIATOR W/DUAL FANS AND WITH THE TRANSMISSION COOLER BUILT IN , MAYBE YOU COULD TELL ME WHAT MODEL YOU USED ON YOURS AND WOULD THAT BE THE SAME AS MINE. WHAT WAS YOUR TOTAL COST?

THANKS.

Steel79:

I put in a Part # 62029 which is for 69 -82 Corvette replaces copper/brass/lead radiators with automatic transmissions (it has a tranny cooler) - I did not get the dual electric fans (because I already added them last summer). I paid around $700 for the radiator.

Be Cool's site is www.becool.com

and their free tech support number is 1-800-243-2999.

My friend bought a # 80029 for his '70 and it did have the dual fan module & standard transmission cooler and he spent around $1100

Hope this helps.... it's a very high quality unit ..

:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom