Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: american racing wheel torque twist wheels.

bg516

Corvette
1966 roadster
sorry to bring this up, i know it was covered years ago, but i am a little lost and could use a hand.
i am picking up a 1966 roadster next month, and would like to fit the torque twist wheels to it.
I have read that the backing plate size(?) effects the disk brake clearance.

exactly what size wheel do it need to fit a 1966 with a 6 or 7 inch rim.
and there seem to be other brands on the market now that mimic the look, and since the american wheels are now made in china, what does it matter, same plant for all I KNOW.

also can i fit 235/70 or do it need to stick to the 215/75 tires.

it has been 30 years since i had my 67 and I have just forgotten all this stuff.

Sorry, that's what happens when you get old.

barry

woops i ment torque thrust wheels

sorry i men t torque thrust wheels, said i was old!!!

What you need to worry about, Barry, is if the torque thrust wheels will clear the brake calipers and if the wheel width and offset will fit the fenderwells in a 66. Generally, clearance from the backing plate should not be an issue.

The Torque Thrust D was developed in the mid '60s specifically to clear disc brake calipers. The earlier style straight spokes wheels won't clear. You can find the recommended wheel number for a mid year Corvette right on the American Racing web site. The 235 tire is about an inch taller and could cause contact with the fender lip if you hit a bump with the wheels turned sharply. You might try a 65 or 60 series tire to keep the same diameter while increasing the aspec ratio.

Tom

thank you

The Torque Thrust D was developed in the mid '60s specifically to clear disc brake calipers. The earlier style straight spokes wheels won't clear. You can find the recommended wheel number for a mid year Corvette right on the American Racing web site. The 235 tire is about an inch taller and could cause contact with the fender lip if you hit a bump with the wheels turned sharply. You might try a 65 or 60 series tire to keep the same diameter while increasing the aspec ratio.

Tom
thank you for your assistance, i was getting lost with the references between 3.6 (?) and 4 inch and 1 inch offsets..
i recall when I had my 67, 30 years ago! that the tires hit the lip on turns. i will look at the 65 or 60 , but of course, they become so wide that they may create some clearance issues.

once more thank you very much.
barry

american racing wheels.

i mounted the torque twist d wheels, they clear fine and look great, thanks to everyone for the for the assistance. now how do i find a momo hub for the 1966 vette, when they no longer list it.
i was told to use a 69 camaro hub, but does that one work??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom