Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Amount of storage in a C5

Tims93

Corvette
1993 Polo green coupe
Been considering moving up to a C5 in the near future and have been debating in my mind between coupe and convertible. The one question I need some input on is, can you fit two sets of golf clubs in either of these cars? I know it may seem trivial (probably is) but the car with the most storage for clubs or weekend getaway luggage woould be a big pro on my pro-con list. Thanks for your input!

:beer , Tim

It's going to be the coupe if you are doing any traveling, with anything less you had better get a trailer. we have been across country in our 97 coupe and luggage is not a problem. Of course if if you keep the top up you have a wee bit of space back there. two golf bags and what goes with it would bother me,

No doubt the coupe has more storage room (I recall reading that the C5 coupe has as much "trunk space" as a Lincoln Town Car.)

However, having a convertible, if the top is up, there's lots of room. I've even been able to put either a mountain bike or road bike inside and close the trunk, so you should easily be able to put 2 golf bags in there with the top up.

Thanks guys, :upthumbs
Have been leaning toward coupe and the main reason has been looks. The biggest pro for the vert. has been my wife. I was thinking she could get the top up and down on her own easier than removing a roof panel. It's impossible for her to get the roof panel off of my C4 if I'm not at home when she wants to take the car. So, is it any easier to remove the roof panel on a C5 than it is on the C4? It seems they eliminated the rachet and bolts, which is a big plus.
Take care, Tim :beer

I've had both convertible and coupe, and there is no way I would let my golf clubs stop me from buying another convertible. Rent a locker at the club house. ;LOL

no1agitator said:
I've had both convertible and coupe, and there is no way I would let my golf clubs stop me from buying another convertible. Rent a locker at the club house. ;LOL
Agitator,
What's the biggest difference between the two for you? or anyone else who is diehard vert fan. Thanks, Tim

Tims93 said:
Been considering moving up to a C5 in the near future and have been debating in my mind between coupe and convertible. The one question I need some input on is, can you fit two sets of golf clubs in either of these cars? I know it may seem trivial (probably is) but the car with the most storage for clubs or weekend getaway luggage woould be a big pro on my pro-con list. Thanks for your input!

:beer , Tim

You must have missed all the media coverage when the C5 was introduced. Many, many write-ups had information from Chevrolet that two sets of golf clubs would fit in the luggage area of a C5.

I am not a golfer and always thought that Chevrolet "over-hyped" that piece of information.

I have a coupe and there is plenty of storage space in the rear. Much more than my 1973 Corvette coupe.

Golf clubs will fit into the convertable. I personally find the trunk on the convertable more useful than the rear hatch area on the coupe. I can easily fit an enormous amount of luggage into it for touring. I also like having my stuff out of sight in the trunk. In the coupe you can pull the privacy screen over, but that reduces how much you can put in the back. The convincer for me was when I noticed that to run with the roof off on an coupe, because of the way it fits into the back, what you can place in the rear is significantly reduced.

Everything that you need will fit into a vert.......really!

As to the question about removing the top. Sure it's easier to unlatch the C5's top, as compared with the C4, but you've got to have a good grip on it to remove it without dropping it. I'm not sure I'd want my wife to remove the top from my C5, not that she'd have any interest in doing it anyway.
BTW, keep a pair of garden gloves in the hatchback somewhere. If it's at all hot outside the top gets too hot to handle bare-handed and you run a very real risk of dropping it. I won't go anywhere without the gloves now, obviously I ran into this problem but managed to hold onto it.

I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing women in any way. I'm sure some are strong enough to handle the top, but I'm afraid that many won't be able to easily handle it.

The convertible top on the C5 is really easy to raise and lower when compared to the C4. My wife can do it by herself without any trouble. There are no rear latches to undo.

As for storage space, the convertible has a lot (especially when compared to the C4) but I'm not sure that two sets of clubs would fit. A lot would depend on the bag.

Ah-Ha! I knew if I just looked in the right place in the CAC Knowledgebase, I'd find the stats. The trick, as I learned, was not to look at the specific year (1993 or 2000, for example) but rather the last year of production for that generation Vette.

Here are the stats on storage capacity:

C4 Specs:
Cargo index (cu. ft.):
coupe: 12.6
convertible: 6.6

C5 Specs:
Cargo volume (cu ft / L):
coupe: 24.8 / 702
convertible: 13.9 / 394
Z06: 13.3 / 377
:w
-Patrick

Thanks guys,

That's the info I was looking for! I did miss the hoopla about storage when the C5 was introduced. I could tell the a-- was bigger but wasn't sure if that translated into more storage. Hopefully by the end of summer I'll officially be able to start my search. Right now I'm trying to finish the garage addition on our house so I have the proper crib for the new ride!! Thanks again

Many 7-10 day road trips, 1 C5 vert and no problems. Lots of room back there. If I want to cruise with the top down, I have to be careful with what I put back there and I can't buy too much some time. Top up and I've got lots of room.

Great ride also!

no1agitator said:

I agree...my vert has plenty of room...clubs and all...the vert is the way to go...:beer

I love the vert. I've had both coupes and verts and enjoy the vert more. Plenty of room for golf clubs.:w

Screw the golf club space I would have prefered GM to make space for a spare tire and jack, with the same size wheels front and back.

[QUOTE='04 Torch Red]I agree...my vert has plenty of room...clubs and all...the vert is the way to go...:beer[/QUOTE]

Amen. Clubs will fit top down. LOTS of room top up. But, freeway cruising - nice day - top down is the way to go. For travel, I use the under storage compartments for clothes, cameras, computers. Pack two medium size bags with all the necessities and still have room for small oddsd and ends in the trunk with corners left for knick-knacks. Easy to pack for two weeks. Clubs get left behind, although one set could be managed and still have room for plenty of clothes. To me, the laptop and camera gear is more important than the clubs. I don't fly with clubs either - I'd rather rent clubs once I get there.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom