Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! An issue I solved on my C5

Delta98C5

Corvette
stock 98 C5 pewter 145K miles
As I said in my intro post , this is my first Corvette and it's almost 3 years now. I really went through a period at first being in my early 50's at the time thinking I was being irresponsible and wasteful having this car. I tend to go over the speed limit substantially for short periods of time when I have the opportunity and this is not something I normally do in my Sierra or other vehicles I've owned . These thoughts would have me wanting to sell the car . I would put it away for a while and when I'd come back it was like it was new all over again. I'm still glad I have this car and feel like it would be hard to live without one now :L . But I digress. What I was going to talk about was an issue the car had after the weather had warmed up since I got the car at the end of December in 2016 so it wasn't obvious at first . After I started using the AC I would be sitting at a light and my eyes would start to burn. I'd have to open the windows. So I took to looking online and heard all kinds of expensive things it could be. Another thing that I noticed right away was the rear main seal was leaking at a constant enough rate that I was concerned about it . A mechanic I knew told me to get some of the blue devil sealer stuff which I did put in and then waited (yes , I was driving the car). after some time I didn't notice an improvement. It got me to thinking about the PCV system and how it can cause leaks if not operable so I took off the vanity covers and got to looking with a flashlight. Right away on the right side I saw the PCV valve literally just laying on the head. As I traced it down the whole thing was in shambles including that funny Y shaped crossover in the back of the engine. I went down and bought hose and a tee and an elbow (since I couldn't find the Y thing) and I got it all reconnected and took it for a drive with the windows up . The eye burning smell was totally gone. I cleaned up my oil spot on the garage floor and watched it . It had diminished greatly . Last week I was doing some cleaning and sweeping and went down to wipe up the floor and there was not a single drop of oil . I guess that's the end of this story which probably could have been a lot shorter ! :rotfl Anyway I hope this helps someone out if you're having this problem . It was not the converters or anything else although I did end up having new converters put on later that year .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom