Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another Bogus 53?

SebringBill

Corvette
1957 #3143; 1997 #0993
This brings back memories (ie 53 #029)...this link is to a 53 for sale on ebay right now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Base-Convertible-2-Door-/151867502064?forcerrptr=true&hash=item235c022df0:g:iP8AAOSwFnFWEa5m&item=151867502064

Check out the pics & note:
1) the car was registered last week!
2) the serial # tag cannot be real as EX-123 was assigned in 1957 to a 57 Chevrolet FI test passenger car that was scrapped in July 1957 (& I can get proof)
3) the Chev Flint Machinery tag was affixed to assembly machinery NOT vehicles (BTW, Zora's test car was #856 anyway)
4) wth does that watch have to do with anything?

Fair warning...

Seller wants an awful lotta money for something which is essentially an assembly of unrelated parts thrown together.

Mac

s-l1600.jpg

After looking at the pics a bit closer, I don't see a whole lotta cloth mat that should be everywhere on this car...

After looking at the pics a bit closer, I don't see a whole lotta cloth mat that should be everywhere on this car...
Heh... maybe it was built on a 'good' day?

Mac

The before pic of the body looks like Pennant Blue (1954). As badly roached as that body is I find it amazing that the VIN plate is so pristine. Almost looks new, doesn't it? Note that it isn't on the body in the before picture. Maybe the watch is to keep track of how long it takes some sucker to bite on this. The machine tag has nothing to do with a vehicle body. The watch looks to be a presentation item given to an employee long before the Corvette was made.

Tom

Once upon a time.... :rotfl
This car was a race car which was found about 20 years ago in San Luis Obispo. Before that it was said to be a factory test car from Flint Michigan. This car has been re-instructed [reconstructed?] from scrap body. The motor is a 327 (270 horse power) high performance with double hump heads. The transmission is a 4-speed Muncey. The watch and the body inventory tag came with the car. The body is believed to be the same car as shown in the attached photo with the driver in it. This is not a number matching car.

Said to be, believed to be; all the classic Ebay warnings are there; what is missing is I don't know, but I was told. ;)

327 with 2X4 barrel = 270HP ;) Most likely, a 283 2x4 manifold.

What it isn't is a $34.5K car.

Don't get me started on that one... The Motorama Corvette was EX-52. Though EX-122 may be considered a "53" it was assigned that number in 1957 when it was sold to Russ Sanders (since it didn't have a serial #).

Update: listing ended at 8:39 pm (EST) "because the item is no longer for sale." Didn't say it sold so...

Don't get me started on that one... The Motorama Corvette was EX-52. Though EX-122 may be considered a "53" it was assigned that number in 1957 when it was sold to Russ Sanders (since it didn't have a serial #).

You would be the expert hear not me....I'm a Swing Axle guy..:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom