Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another check for Hot Start problems

Subfixer

Corvette
1964 White Roadster
I have another thing for y'all to check when having hot start problems.

I've been battling this for a couple of months now. Rebuilt the carb, changed the coil, etc..... Today I think I found it.

As you know, a stock C2 ignition system uses a ballast resistor to lower the voltage (about 8V) to the coil in normal running conditions. When starting, there is 12V supplied to the coil from a terminal on the starter solenoid.

Here's what I found... Running, I have about 8V at the + terminal of the coil. When starting, I have 4V. I checked the 12V coming from the starter (during start) and it was 0V. All the wires in the harness checked good, so it's got to be the starter solenoid.

I took a cruise for about 1/2 hour, then sat for 15 min. As usual, it wouldn't start. I jumpered across the ballast resistor to give the coil full 12 volts, and the car started right up. Turned it off, pulled the jumper and tried again... no start. Put the jumper back on, started right up. Looks like I need a new solenoid.

During cold start, it appears there's enough voltage through the ballast resistor to the coil to fire a cold fuel mixture.

So, there's another check to make if you are having a similar problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom