Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

another guy DEAD who failed to think...

I built my stands from stacked 2x10 lumber.

Its pretty much as solid as a stand can get, if you can call it a stand.

Ill admit i have used some less than bright methods to get the car up, but nothing nearly as risky as using a stack of 2x4s.

the guy who got killed at the start of this thread probably would not have purchased one, since he didn,t even have decent jack stands,
but its silly to think how little extra expence it takes to save a life
home-bed-capacity.jpg

http://www.creepex.com/indexEN.html
now heres a TOOL that at first glance may seem silly, BUT the more I look at this the more I think its a good idea , after thinking about it it makes perfect sence.....its a creeper with a built in safety roll cage to prevent getting crushed if the car did fall
a DECENT WELDER and some WELDING SKILLS, a short trip to the local metal supply store, a few quality casters, and a free weekend could result in a custom version magically appearing in your garage for under $200, but having a nice chrome /padded ,pro made version will look nicer
I just can,t tell you how often a decent welder comes in handy around the shop

the guy who got killed at the start of this thread probably would not have purchased one, since he didn,t even have decent jack stands,
but its silly to think how little extra expence it takes to save a life
home-bed-capacity.jpg

now heres a TOOL that at first glance may seem silly, BUT the more I look at this the more I think its a good idea , after thinking about it it makes perfect sence.....its a creeper with a built in safety roll cage to prevent getting crushed if the car did fall
a DECENT WELDER and some WELDING SKILLS, a short trip to the local metal supply store, a few quality casters, and a free weekend could result in a custom version magically appearing in your garage for under $200, but having a nice chrome /padded ,pro made version will look nicer
Now that is sweet, all it's missing is the cupholder! And those casters look very nice, none of those itty bitty wheels that get caught on the slightest grain of sand on the garage floor. And nothing I own weighs 15 tons so it would do just fine.

Now that is sweet, all it's missing is the cupholder! And those casters look very nice, none of those itty bitty wheels that get caught on the slightest grain of sand on the garage floor. And nothing I own weighs 15 tons so it would do just fine.
Just think you could bring it to Cruse Fest 2008, I'm sure Rowdy1 will bring a ski rope!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

All jokes aside,I think I want one!!:upthumbs

Originally Posted by rjracin240
A lot of talk about putting your Z's up on these monster jack stands. Just curious what jacks you are using to get them up that high considering how low these cars sit in the first place. I have some 5 ton jackstands that I have to raise the car up incrementaly to get to the full height. Embarrased to say I use 4X4 on my floor jack pad to get the final height I need. Any suggestions on doing it safer???
GOOD VALID QUESTION!, PROBABLY WE SHOULD discuss it

most comon floor jacks have a max lift height between 18"-22"
your surely not alone in having too lift the car in steps to place the taller 12 ton jack stands or similarly tall jack stands that allow full access under the car.
now in my case I found the darn floor jack won,t fit under the corvette as it sits on the shop floor unless you use some careful planing first, I drive the vette up on plastic rhino ramps to get the necessary clearance, I place the first floor jack and lift the front K-member and place the two front 12 ton jack stands on the frame near the a arms on the frame, I then remove the front floor jack and place it and my second floor jack under the rear side frame behind the doors on each side, I jack each side up a bit, then swap to the other side in several stages IF im alone, (naturally if I have help both sides get jacked up at the same time)untill its high enough to place each of the two or four remaining 12 ton jacks into place under the frame.
now a bit of info Ive installed 1 3/4" thick rubber pads that are approximately 4" in dia. on both my floor jacks to both get the necessary lift and protect the frame from scratches these are made from thick sections of earth mover or dump truck tire tread rubber I found at a dump

Hell Yeah............

Just think you could bring it to Cruse Fest 1008, I'm sure Rowdy1 will bring a ski rope!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

All jokes aside,I think I want one!!:upthumbs

Any length rope you want. That's a great little creeper, I'd have to see if they have the wide shoulder version with Cragar's:boogie

one of the other guys posted a link to this tool...

This is the picture they show on how it can protect you.

creeper15inmechda0.jpg

Unfortunately some of us are shaped like this.

beer guts
creeper15inmech2az8.jpg

are generally flexable enought to survive a few minor/limited impacts with a cars underside, or many of us would be dead by now, but Ill be building a 19" clearance model, IF I WELD UP A CUSTOM ONE,RATHER THAN BUY ONE simply to take full advantage of the 20" under the cars frame with the 12 ton jack stands, BUT the FACTORY CHROME MODEL LOOKS DARN GOOD.

its silly to think how little extra expence it takes to save a life
home-bed-capacity.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom