Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another Horn Problem

Glide

Corvette
1971 Shark, 1985 C4, 2011 C6, 99 FRC. 66 Coupe
Newbe here... just bought an 85 C-4 annd need a horn to pass inspection. Unfotunately, there is a big hole iwith a yellow wire hanging out n the middle of the steering wheel. I need the whole assembly! Tips on installing it would be great to. Please help as I want to get this on the road in time for the Corvette Challange in Richmond, VA

Newbe here... just bought an 85 C-4 annd need a horn to pass inspection. Unfotunately, there is a big hole iwith a yellow wire hanging out n the middle of the steering wheel. I need the whole assembly! Tips on installing it would be great to. Please help as I want to get this on the road in time for the Corvette Challange in Richmond, VA

I went to local car quest, for $8 I bought a horn, and just left the old horns in used the same bolt (which I will rebuild some day) plugged in the new horn using the existing wire. Law is (NY) you need a horn, it doesnt matter how loud or soft it is.

Tom

whoops! didnt see you need the Steering wheel part, try corvette central
they should have the parts.

Thanks for another good resourse. I'll check them out now. After I get the parts I might need some technical advise.

I would try fleabay first, horn buttons are expensive and thats all you get, the horn button. Then you need the emblem and then a contact plate.

Are the horns working? If you ground the yellow wire do the horn sound off? Let me/us know, if need be I can scan/copy what you need.

Try Contemporary-Corvette, they are a salvage yard. Good luck, Guy

Vette 2 vette in Streator Illinois is another good salvage yard. They specialize in C4s and newer.

SAVE THE :w

Found all the horn parts in the console. Can't make it work so it will get looked at by someone in the know. Guess I'll find out how it goes in the snow.

Found all the horn parts in the console. Can't make it work so it will get looked at by someone in the know. Guess I'll find out how it goes in the snow.

Let me know if you need a hand putting the assy. back togehter. PS I've yet to drive my car in the rain or snow!

Help

Thanks Brimis!

I don't think putting it back together is going to make it work. Probably a relay or the horn itself. But the less work my friend does to get it going, the less he'll charge me (he's not THAT good of a friend, just a friend of a friend). I have the cap in hand with the backing plate attached. It seems to be spring loaded (as a horn button should be). How do I attach it to the steering wheel? Thanks! Every little bit helps!

Didn't get to do the snow in that car as the brakes wern't in yet (they are, now) I should have it on the road Saturday but the roads and driveway are clear. At least I finally got my tag! I've got ten days to get it inspected of which I've wasted five trying to get brakes. Could have gotton them cheaper and quicker over the Internet.

The horn button snaps right on to the steering wheel. There are clips that hold it in place. Feed 12 volts right to the horn from the battery with a piece of wire. At leaast see if the horn works.

I bought my Corvette 4 years ago and knew not a thing about the car. They are pretty expensive to maintain. The more you learn, the better off you'll be. I have just about every diagram for the car as I'm sure most members do.

Good luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom