Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another Idea For Heating Your Garage

JonM

Corvette
84 Coupe
Probably work nice in a bathroom too!

While I am sure that the heater is a good unit, they make several claims that are just ludicrous. They claim that their unit is more efficient than other electric heaters since it consumes less wattage, but watts equal heat, it just means that their heater puts less heating capacity! ALL electric heaters have the same effiency, period!
They also claim that their unit drys out the air less. This is also false, since the ammount of humidity in a heated structure has absolutely nothing to do with the manner in which the air is heated. It is soley a function of the humidity outside, the temp outside, and the temp of the heated space inside the structure. If you have 30 degree air outside at 99 percent humidity and you heat the inside to 75 degrees, the relative humidity will plummet to the single digit range. You can predict the indor humidity by knowing the outside conditions and using a Physcrometric chart. The only way to increase the humidity inside is to add moisture to the air with a humidifier.

Guys, an electric heater is an electric heater. They all generate the same ammount of heat per watt and it really doesn't make any difference how they are shaped or how physically large they are. The huge oil-filled radiator looking heater at Home Depot generates the same heat as the tiny little 10" square ceramic heater. They are both 1500 wat heaters.
Regards, John McGraw

Wasn't there a similar product on the market about 15 years ago, a radiant panel which was supposedly super-efficient (I agree with John McG) but ended up being a fire hazard after a couple of years?

John Mcgraw said:
While I am sure that the heater is a good unit, they make several claims that are just ludicrous. They claim that their unit is more efficient than other electric heaters since it consumes less wattage, but watts equal heat, it just means that their heater puts less heating capacity! ALL electric heaters have the same effiency, period!
They also claim that their unit drys out the air less. This is also false, since the ammount of humidity in a heated structure has absolutely nothing to do with the manner in which the air is heated. It is soley a function of the humidity outside, the temp outside, and the temp of the heated space inside the structure. If you have 30 degree air outside at 99 percent humidity and you heat the inside to 75 degrees, the relative humidity will plummet to the single digit range. You can predict the indor humidity by knowing the outside conditions and using a Physcrometric chart. The only way to increase the humidity inside is to add moisture to the air with a humidifier.

Guys, an electric heater is an electric heater. They all generate the same ammount of heat per watt and it really doesn't make any difference how they are shaped or how physically large they are. The huge oil-filled radiator looking heater at Home Depot generates the same heat as the tiny little 10" square ceramic heater. They are both 1500 wat heaters.
Regards, John McGraw
John excellent and correct advice. what is your back round ?

I thought I was the only HVAC guy around here

Larry,

I was an aircraft mechanic for many years, but finally got tired of being in and out of work every time I turned around. I started in the HVAC feild in 1980 and now manage a crew of 20 internal employees and a number of contract employees. I work for a large High-rise building owner and we have almost exclusively large, chilled water units of 600 tons or greater.
My main focus these days are energy management and preventive maintenance. Years ago, we spent the majority of time repairing equipment, but these days, the majority of my people are either controls/computer experts, or preventive maintenance mechanics.
Regards, John McGraw

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom