Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another one for the Bubba file

VetteVirgin

Corvette
Ermine '61
I replaced the fuel pump today and found this lovely "custom" part:

vettevirgin-albums-61-picture2806-fuelpumprod.jpg

The only explaination I can think of is that Bubba drove a retaining bolt in so hard from the front of the block that he bent it? Mysterious are the ways of Obi Wan KeBubba!

The good news is that I finally have a wonderfully stable idle and the engine starts instantly even when heat soaked!

I'm beginning to feel like sorting this car out is the world's most expensive Easter egg hunt! I think I'll save all my Bubba parts and mount them like big game trophies on the garage walls!

VV

The only explaination I can think of is that Bubba drove a retaining bolt in so hard from the front of the block that he bent it? Mysterious are the ways of Obi Wan KeBubba!

:duh

:chuckle

I'm beginning to feel like sorting this car out is the world's most expensive Easter egg hunt! I think I'll save all my Bubba parts and mount them like big game trophies on the garage walls!

The older the car... the higher the odds there has been a bubba who may have touched it.

I've often thought part of the criteria I'd like to establish before I make a purchase is the previous owner must have OCD, track his work in either MS Project or in Excel, and have a box of receipts in chronological order. :L

Half the fun is setting things right (or correct). :thumb

:duh
Half the fun is setting things right (or correct). :thumb
Yeah, I get a perverse sense of satisfaction when I put something back together correctly that someone else has Bubba'd!:thumb "Do it right the first time", "work smarter not harder", and "NO BUBBAS" work for me!
Andy :w

Bent fuel pump pushrods come from using too long a bolt in the bolt hole that is adjacent to the space the pump rod occupies inside the block.

On a 55-57 passenger car, those bolt holes are used to bolt the engine mount brackets to the block. If too long a bolt is used, a bent pump rod is the result.

On engines for other applications, because that bolt hole goes into the interior of the block and, if the bolt were not there, an oil leak would result, there's always a bolt in that hole. If the factory bolt was ever replaced with the wrong bolt (ie: too long) then a bent pushrod is the result.

Also, as standard service procedure when changing fuel pumps, is to roll the engine by hand to where the pushrod is on the fuel pump lobe base circle, then temporarily install a longer bolt in that hole to hold (but not bend, obviously) the pushrod in place while the pump is changed. This prevents having the pushrod dropping down and making the pump replacement more difficult. Obviously you put the shorter bolt back in place when you're done.

My advice would be to check and make sure the proper length fasteners are in those holes.

Bent fuel pump pushrods come from using too long a bolt in the bolt hole that is adjacent to the space the pump rod occupies inside the block.

On a C1, those bolt holes are used to bolt the engine mount brackets to the block. If too long a bolt is used, a bent pump rod is the result.

On a Solid Axle Corvette the "engine mount bracket" bolts between the water pump and the block.

The bolt hole that intersects the fuel pump rod is one of four that was used for front engine mounts in 55, 56 and 57 Chevrolet cars.

Good point. My bad. I got C1 engine mounts confused with 55-57 passenger.
I'll correct my post.

My advice would be to check and make sure the proper length fasteners are in those holes.

Thanks Hib!
I replaced the water pump and (cracked) engine mount plate when I de-bubbified the cooling system. At that time I replaced bubba's bolts with a correct set from Paragon (which I've done with every component I've worked on).
Lots of ways to install the fuel pump rod without the need for the retaining bolt!

VV

I replaced the fuel pump today and found this lovely "custom" part:

vettevirgin-albums-61-picture2806-fuelpumprod.jpg

The good news is that I finally have a wonderfully stable idle and the engine starts instantly even when heat soaked!

VV

I made one of those when I changed the fuel pump on mom's '59 wagon.:upthumbs

Not really very hard to do. You just bolt up the new pump without lifting the unseen pushrod that had fallen down.

It only ran for a few moments. Dad fixed it when he got home from work.

Give me a break, I was a dumb teenager.;shrug

I made one of those when I changed the fuel pump on mom's '59 wagon.:upthumbs

Not really very hard to do. You just bolt up the new pump without lifting the unseen pushrod that had fallen down.

It only ran for a few moments. Dad fixed it when he got home from work.

Give me a break, I was a dumb teenager.;shrug

Everyone on the CAC has probably done something similar on at least one occaision in their car wrenching past! :thumb
Mistakes are part of the learning process. You don't achieve "Bubba" status unless you looked at that bent rod and thought "It don't look so bad! I bet it'll work just fine anyway!" and proceeded to reinstall it! :eek:hnoes

VV

Is that your car in your avatar? If so, what kind of steering wheel is that? It looks nice and padded.

Is that your car in your avatar? If so, what kind of steering wheel is that? It looks nice and padded.

Yes it is! That's a 15" padded leather wheel from Paragon (11725K). $350 with the bolt kit. Drill out the old rivets and it bolts right on to the hub.
I think all the resto parts sites carry the exact same wheel. Steering effort goes up a bit, but the extra room and driving comfort are well worth the parking workout for me!

VV

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom