Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another skip-shift question

01TriBlack

When the skip-shift indicator is on, does that mean it's telling me to bypass 2nd and 3rd gear? Or will it automatically not allow me to shift into 2nd or 3rd. I haven't driven the car enough (maybe 2 miles max) enough to be familiar with the throws - but I know in that short span, the indicator was coming on. I don't really know if perhaps it was forcing me into 4th and I thought I was gearing into 2nd or what. Could be....I was euphoric driving the thing - far be it from me to discern if I was forced into a gear or not.

Thanks very much.

Mary

All it does is diverts the shifter from second to third, but you can always choose any other gear, other then second. . . A metal "plate" blocks second gear and makes the lever slip into forth, there is no forcing it. . . but all other gears are open. If you stop at neutral until the light goes out, you can still choose second. .

96TriBlack said:
When the skip-shift indicator is on, does that mean it's telling me to bypass 2nd and 3rd gear? Or will it automatically not allow me to shift into 2nd or 3rd. I haven't driven the car enough (maybe 2 miles max) enough to be familiar with the throws - but I know in that short span, the indicator was coming on. I don't really know if perhaps it was forcing me into 4th and I thought I was gearing into 2nd or what. Could be....I was euphoric driving the thing - far be it from me to discern if I was forced into a gear or not.

Thanks very much.
Mary

Just give it a little more gas so youll tach a little higher. The skip shift will be gone. It comes on around 2 2 1/2 rpms. Make sure the light is out when you want to shift. you will see the 1 to 4 shift light flash when it wants you to shift.

Have Fun
-Andy

You can also install a skip shift eliminator, are you aware of that?

Mary,

There are three things that affect whether or not the skip-shift feature is activated. Road speed, throttle opening (how far down you're mashing the gas pedal) and engine temperature.
When the light comes on it only means that while the light is on, you can only shift into 4th gear.
When the engine is still cold, skip-shift does not work. At a certain temp. (about 170-175 degrees I think), the computer lets skip-shift start working. If you want to avoid having to shift into fourth, just keep accelerating a bit longer and the light will go out (at about 15-17mph) and when it does, you can then shift into 2nd if you wish.

rsimoes has the right idea. Get a skip-shift eliminator installed and you won't have to deal with this any more. It won't affect the car, it won't set any trouble codes in the computer and it's pretty inexpensive. This was actually the very first mod I made to mine when I bought mine back in '99. The skip-shift light still comes on but it doesn't do anything. I can shift into any gear at any speed at any temperature I want. Try it you'll like it. :upthumbs

Robert

Thank you, rsimoes, atmamac and pegasus for your replies. :) Appreciated.

It sounds like it might be something I'm getting all paranoid over for nothing. I was considering the bypass option but someone I talk to that has it on his car now says he's having it removed. Apparently codes are being thrown that are driving him nuts. Maybe he's got it installed wrong - but, from reading about it, it seems pretty darned simple.

I believe the skip shift feature was added by GM because of certain EPA requirements and really doesn't effect the performance of the vehicle. I have heard from other late model corvette owners that the best, cheapest and safest way to avoid the skip shift light is to just give it a little more gas --- like Atmmac had mentioned . my2cents. Steve

Just make sure when you install the skip-shift eliminator you secure it well. I didn't and the tail attached to the wiring harness got too close to the exhaust and burned through. Now I need to install another. Just a heads-up!

This first, and only, mod I made was to install the skip-shift eliminator. Best investment I've made, next to buying the '03 AE. Absolutely no codes have been thrown.
One item noted in your posted.... you stated the light was coming on but you were able to select any gear you wanted...... is maybe the skip-shift eliminator already installed?

Enjoy the ride. Awesome piece of engineering!!!!

Kemosabe said:
<snip>One item noted in your posted.... you stated the light was coming on but you were able to select any gear you wanted...... is maybe the skip-shift eliminator already installed? <snip>
I sure thought so. Is this something my mechanic could tell relatively easily?

01TriBlack said:
I sure thought so. Is this something my mechanic could tell relatively easily?
Yes. Very simple. If it is the most common skip-shift eliminator (like mine), it is an add-on that can be seen when the car is up on a lift. It is located on the left side of the transmission and is a plug-in type device and should be readily visible. BTW, if for whatever reason, you ever decide in the future to return things to completely stock, this item can be simply unplugged and the wire harness snapped back into the connector on the transmission where it was originally. HTH. :)

Robert

The skip shift only blocks second gear, you can choose any gear and if you still want second stay in neutral for a second, the light will go out and you can choose second. . .

I installed the skip shift eliminator from Ecklers (CAGS eliminator) on 4 Corvettes so far, no problems. In my opinion, having CAGS (Computer Assisted Gear Selector) is actually bad for the engine, because you lug it going from 1 to 4. . . too much load on too low an RPM. . . I drove around it, until the eliminator came in. . .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom