Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another tire Question ???

my1corvette

Corvette
2002 triple black coupe
Hi Folks , let me start by saying that this is the greatest corvette site on the net and it is because of the willingness of the people to share information and help out whenever possible .
I only know how to drive my car (a 1998 coupe ) so please forgive me for meaby asking a stupid question
I really like the looks of the Z06 rims but the size is different from my stock rims (17-8.5 front and 18-9.5 rear ) the salesman tells me that the Z06 rims will fit my car no problem and I could even put my stock EMT's on those rims if I wanted to?????
has enyone had any experience with this , is this possible or does he just want to sell me the rims because he knows I like them
Thanks John

My suggestion is to go to www.z06vette.com You can often get zo6 rims for a thousand dollars a set.

Yes you can squeeze the standard C5 tires on these rims but beaware of the downside.

I had a friend who did this with Z06 sized mallet rims and the edge of the rim was exposed to curbs (offensively so in fact)

If your going zo6 rims..go with the tires for that car as well.

Throw a 10-20 dollar air pump..a 2 dollar plug kit from K mart or walmart..

You can put the airsensors in the zo6 rims as well as your pcm needs to see that otherwise the D.I.C will constantly send you a message.

The handling with the larger wheels and tires is amazing and the 24 lb drop in unsprung weight is amazing..

good luck in your decision.

JB

BTw..the rims fit the car no problem..

Great mod!

JB

I agree with JBsC5. If you are going to spend the money for the Z06 rims you might as well buy the right size tires for them. You would be better off. Plus you can keep the old rims and tires and swop them out when/if you sell your C5 for a new one.

Thanks for the reply folks , this brings me to the next question and please correct me if i am wrong . It is my understanding that the Z06 does not have ant sensors in the tires something to do with the stuff you put inside the tire when flat ? If I want to create the same situation on my 1998 coupe ,is there a way that I can prevent from getting error messages ???? or is it simply a must installing sensors
thanks again John ( I am looking at Eagle F1 supercar 265-40-17 and 295-35-18 )

my1corvette,
You are correct. The Z06 does not have tire pressure sensors. The main reason is because the F1 SC tires are not runflat tires, and the kit that comes with the car has a bottle of "goop" to seal the tire long enough to drive it to get it repaired. The goop is not compatible with the sensors that are part of the valve stem assy. Therefore if you are going to a non-runflat tire you have a couple of choices.
1. Take your chances like we do that you won't experience a flat tire while traveling without the runflat capability and retain your current valve stem sensors to monitor the tire pressures.

2. Purchase the goop and tire pump to seal and inflate the tire(s) so it is driveable to a repair station if needed. But you will need to replace your expensive tire pressure sensors with regular valve stems, otherwise risk ruining those $125.00 valve stems.

Either way, the F1 Supercar tires are fantastic dry road tires, and are forgiving in the rain as long as you remember the larger the footprint, the greater the chance to hydroplane.
vettepilot

vettepilot said:
my1corvette,
You are correct. The Z06 does not have tire pressure sensors. The main reason is because the F1 SC tires are not runflat tires, and the kit that comes with the car has a bottle of "goop" to seal the tire long enough to drive it to get it repaired. The goop is not compatible with the sensors that are part of the valve stem assy. Therefore if you are going to a non-runflat tire you have a couple of choices.
1. Take your chances like we do that you won't experience a flat tire while traveling without the runflat capability and retain your current valve stem sensors to monitor the tire pressures.

2. Purchase the goop and tire pump to seal and inflate the tire(s) so it is driveable to a repair station if needed. But you will need to replace your expensive tire pressure sensors with regular valve stems, otherwise risk ruining those $125.00 valve stems.

Either way, the F1 Supercar tires are fantastic dry road tires, and are forgiving in the rain as long as you remember the larger the footprint, the greater the chance to hydroplane.
vettepilot

Well said and you are so right. Make sure you know what you are doing first. I would go without the sensors because with none run-flats it is the best choice if something happens.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom