Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Antennae R&R (another pic repair)

Schrade

Corvette
'90 LT 5
While I wait for clutch hydraulic parts, which might put me at a standstill on that thread, we got another one to pic up on...

I did this one already on the '94 - don't know if it was here or the other places, been a couple of years.

Can't remember which parts from the new kit I cannibalized for the old unit either

Attachments

• HPIM5861.jpg
    HPIM5861.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 239
  • HPIM5860.jpg
    HPIM5860.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
There's 2 harness connectors to dis-connect. One is the antennae coax; the other is the power / ground. Coax connects behind the driver's seat, power / ground connector is near the top release. Both are buried under the trim. Trim removal is straightforward. Be careful tho' plastic gets brittle after 20 years.

Removal of the curtain makes it easier. Roll it forward, and you have more room. ROOM is a commodity while hacking on your vette.

The pic shows a small screwdriver. Use a LARGE one. The pic also shows the screwdriver in the wrong place. Get it behind the round roller end, where I have drawn the line. Rotate it gently, and the pin will clear the mounting hole. Gently pull forward, just enough to roll back up the shade.

When working on wiring and connectors, a little Armor All, or silicone spray makes them MUCH easier to work with.

Once dis-connected, the lines will feed through the grommet, and the antenna unit will remove completely.

Then you have to cut and splice. Schematics for mine tomorrow. I think my '94 was the same...

Attachments

• IMG_4746.jpg
    IMG_4746.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4754.jpg
    IMG_4754.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4753.jpg
    IMG_4753.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
The grommet slide right through the hole with a little silicone spray hit it from both sides. After unscrewing another ground, the unit dropped from under the vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_4756.jpg
    IMG_4756.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4757.jpg
    IMG_4757.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
The new antennae has 2 leads and a ground. 12V to constant and 12V to second lead raises the antennae. No power to second lead makes it retract. The factory harness, with 3 leads, doesn't supply that combo, since it comes through a relay.

So we pulled the mast with the tape drive out of the new unit, and threaded it into the old housing, since the old motor is fine. After a few feed errors (polarity) it rolled properly.

Anyone wants more pics, sound off...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom