Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

anti lock brake light

Corvette
1986 Convertible Dark Red Metallic
I have been getting the anti lock light on my info center on and off. Somedays it will never show. Other times, it shows, not at start up but into the drive after I have applied the brakes numerous times. Is it the Modulator or Control Valve? I have a 'Vert so where are mine located as I have no storage area behind the driver's seat? Any tests I can do to troubleshoot? Any relays involved in anyway? I need to get a General Service Manual for sure. Thanks in advance.

"Viva Las Vegas" baby....... :_rock

Top nice ride!

So there is no MAGIC jumper on the ALDL connector for your year to flash an error code.

Yes there is one owner accessible relay and it's a special one.

There IS a tester for the ABS system but it's made by Bosch and requires a direct interface
[Dealer only]

And there is a NICE schematic in the shop manual ( electrical suppliment ).

Other than that... it's going to be hunt & poke on your own.

Vig!

Hi Vig

I jumped the A&B and got only the system 12 code. Nothing in between, so no codes have been set. I will look at all the connections today and clean them up. I did replace my master cylinder about a month ago but the light only started about two weeks ago so probably not related I think. Oh well I willl continue the ole 'hunt and poke'. At least I still got brakes!!!

:J :Roll :Twist

Thanks for the help tho' If your ever headin to Vegas let me know!!

Here's the 'other' side pic....

The A&B jump

( In ANY year)

Only poles the ECM ( engine computer )

and Dosent speak to the other systems
( ABS/SIR/CCM/AC etc.etc.)

Now in 90 you could start talking to the ABS via a scanner or dash..... Alas we were to early.

IF I had to bet ....... I would start with the relay... and work from there.

I would ( when possible ) remove the tires and see if a bunch of metal has become stuck to the ABS wheel sensor pickups....

Next... pull the connectors at each wheel and give em a quick spray of contact cleaner.

I do not feel that replacing the master would be part of this problem.....

Vig!

I was just down in the garage with the hood up. Checked the sensors and they had little metal shavings stuck to them. I did a quick clean up of them. I will pull all the wheels tomorrow, have to watch the Bristol Wreckathon later today, and clean and spray them good. Where is this relay located? I'm sure I can't get one this weekend, so the clean up is the first step for me I think, heck needs to be done anyway.

Thanks again Vig!

:beer

The Relay location

Ok If you looking at/in the storage compartment.

The control module will be the closest thing to
to you...
Look twds your left, look down twds bottom of storage area.. that's where the relay hides!

( really easy to get to huh?)

Your VERY welocme TOP!

Vig!

MY86 ABS--unfortunately--has no on-board diagnostics. As noted earlier, you need the the J35890 ABS tester along with the J35592 Pinout Box to do complete diagnosis of the 86 ABS.

You also need the 86 Service Manual, including the available-separately, Section 8A, which has all the electrical sys. diagnosis material not found in the main volume.

More bad news is Kent-Moore no longer lists J35890 in its catalog of GM service tools. The Pinout box is still available, however.

If you want the ABS Tester, I'd look on eBay, first.

Unfortunately, DIY repair and diagnosis of the early C4 ABS is difficult.

Storage compartment?? My Convert doesn't a storage compartment behind the seats. Am I missing something here? Well interestingly enough I cleaned off the front sensors really good and I didn't get a light when I went to the store just a bit ago. Hmmmm.....well tomorrow I will clean the sensors real good.

Thanks for the info Hib.

Hey now

I have an 88 convert.. and there are hatches to get to the storage ( more like micro glove boxes) behind the seats in the well where the top goes...it's there...

Vig!

Hmmm well here is a pic of my storage area for the top. No little glove boxes at all. I even looked under the carpet to see if somebody just layed carpet over them. Well I guess my relay is there somewhere I will hunt for it tomorrow. Looks like I need to get the vacuum out also for the storage area....lol

:hb :crazy

AH HAH

So your ABS is located under the speaker?

Vig!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom