Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Any Advise On Possible C3 Buy???

MRANT212

Corvette
1988 35th ANNIV,1971 BRIDGEHAMPTON BLUE BB COUPE
How ya doing everyone!!! I currently own a C4 and am looking to possibly buy a C3(cant believe I may have 2 toys). The one Im interested in is a matching #'s 1971 big block 4 speed.The vehicle is nowheres near me and is located in the Chicago area. Im in the process of getting the vehicle inspected before buying it. Besides the usual issues with frame rust, windshield etc is there anything else I should be aware of???
I have been speaking with the current owner and the vehicle sounds pretty good except it may need a carb. Brakes are done, exhaust and everything works wipers lights etc. The owner states it could use paint eventually . It is the original color. Any info given will help me!!! Thanks in advance!! The C4 forum has been great and Im looking forward to being part of the C3 forum soon!!!

Anthony

If the person who is doing the inspection is knowlegable about vettes then you should be pretty safe.I would have the person who is doing the inspection call you from his cell phone and have him do a walk around the car while you ask questions. A very good ideal is to have notes about what questions you want to ask as you may forget while speaking to the inspector.as alyways id make sure the car is in good shape and see if it can be brought to a shop put on a lift and looked at .Also In my opinion your about to spend alot of money on a car you havent even physicaly even laid eyes on.And if the seller balks about having the car looked at very closely walk away,because in more cases than not he or she is hiding something.I wish you luck!!:w

Buy one that has already had everything replaced so you dont have to deal with it.

awww, come on now Bender, don't you like busting your knuckles fixing stuff?? I understand your point, and I've also seen 'Bubbas' work. When I bought my car, it was really cheap and needed a lot of little things. Point being, when I'm finished, it will be MY car - when something breaks it won't be so traumatic for me.
MRANT212 - are you getting a good price? Have you seen pics of it? How does your gut feel about it? If you decide to go for it, you'll need a trailer (back it on) and a friend who owes you a big favor. Understand this vehicle is 34 years old and most likely not driven daily. Things do go bad from underuse, condensation on electrical contacts, rubber parts and gaskets dry out - not to mention how much gas a big block will consume @ $2.00+ per gallon to drive from the Windy City to Jersey. Oh, and you DO have garage space for it, right??? Good luck in acquiring a C3, we'll always be here to talk to. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Craig

Hi Guys, Anthony, I was looking for a C3 before I got my C4. What these guys have said is true. I bought off the internet and was having ulcers before I put my eyes on the car and I had a chevy dealer and an appraiser look at the car together and I was still nervous till it I got to see it! That said, which I think is normal worries about buying something you have not seen in person, the C3 has one major diff from the C4. C4's have a galv'ed frame & bird-cage. I was told to look at the body mount bolts and the A-pillars and take off both side's kick panels because that's where you can get an idea about rust that would be big effort to fix. If you like I can give you my NCRS 70-72 judging book, I don't need it anymore, free just send me a PM w/ address & I'll mail them. The rust thing was the thing stopping me cause it was not something that I could correct myself. I'm not saying don't get the C3! Just be aware of the rust thing with the bird-cage, the mechanical work is just easier to deal with than a potiential frame off to correct rust. Good luck with your search! Tom

Yeah, when I can figure out how to fix the stuff. I took my interior apart and the electrical was just horriable and I went out there to start my car so it would just not sit and the center cluster caught on fire :-/ I think I would like to work on a old 80's Camaro or something. A car I can find parts for and cheap. Also does not take forever to get aftermarket crap to fit right. My car has been one big head ache.

Thanks for the input guys!!! I have seen pics of the car and the photos seem pretty good. Im well aware that we are talking about a 34 yr old car here. An inspection service that I contacted will be going over the car and the woman who owns it is making arrangements for a lift to be available.Based on the pricing of big block 4 speed C3's I feel the price is reasonable since it is supposed to be a matching #'s car. The inspection service is to verify this for me and send a 6 page report on the car with over 30 pics too. It does make me nervous buying something sight unseen. I thought of taking my wifes Durango out there and renting a trailer to bring it back if everything goes thru. After calculating the costs gas and tolls to and from the Chicago area I may as well have it shipped. If this goes thru Ill get a shipping company to send it to my house. I have a 2 1/2 car garage right now. My 88 for the winter is stored at my friends house so Ill leave my work car outside and park the C3 in the garage. Im excited about this and will keep you all posted on my findings!!

Anthony

MRANT212 said:
Thanks for the input guys!!! I have seen pics of the car and the photos seem pretty good. Im well aware that we are talking about a 34 yr old car here. An inspection service that I contacted will be going over the car and the woman who owns it is making arrangements for a lift to be available.Based on the pricing of big block 4 speed C3's I feel the price is reasonable since it is supposed to be a matching #'s car. The inspection service is to verify this for me and send a 6 page report on the car with over 30 pics too. It does make me nervous buying something sight unseen. I thought of taking my wifes Durango out there and renting a trailer to bring it back if everything goes thru. After calculating the costs gas and tolls to and from the Chicago area I may as well have it shipped. If this goes thru Ill get a shipping company to send it to my house. I have a 2 1/2 car garage right now. My 88 for the winter is stored at my friends house so Ill leave my work car outside and park the C3 in the garage. Im excited about this and will keep you all posted on my findings!!

Anthony

Good luck, Anthony. I went through the same experience a couple of years ago when I purchased my LT-1 from a guy in Oregon. It certainly is a gut wrenching experience right up until the point you get to see it. Then you worry about the numbers not matching (in my case - they did though!), and everything under the sun.

It sounds as though you're touching all the bases as far as getting the car checked out, so you should be fine if the car inspectors give it their seal of approval. Luckily, and I shouldn't jinx myself here, I haven't had a single problem with my car.

I used DAP (Dependable auto shippers) to bring my car from Oregon to MA. I paid the extra $100.00 to have my car on "top," just to make sure nothing leaked on it from a car up above. It's money well spent.

Like someone else already mentioned, you better be prepared to spend some big $$ at the pump. I've never actually gauged my fuel consumption, but I'd say I get somewhere between 8-12 miles to a gallon (Sunoco 93-94), probably more like 9-10. I have a '71 LT-1 (350cu - 330hp), so I would expect your numbers to be similar.

Let us know how everything goes.

-John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom