Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Any body know about this..?

Tigershark_11

Corvette
2000 pewter convertable 6m
If I went to drop my vette off at the dealer is there a way to disable the traction contol so if they did take the car out they would be able to rip on the tires? Is there a place to use the key for that besides the button anyone can disable the traction?

Thanks, Bob..

If you disable the TC it will allow however is driving to light up the tires. What you want to do is enable the TC and not allow anyone to turn it off.
:beer

cruzer82 said:
If you disable the TC it will allow however is driving to light up the tires. What you want to do is enable the TC and not allow anyone to turn it off.
:beer

I know the TC is always enabled, but all they need to do is hit the button and its disabled. Just wondering if there is a way to keep it enabled even if they hit the button,so they cant turn it off..

Thanks, Bob..

Tigershark_11 said:
If I went to drop my vette off at the dealer is there a way to disable the traction contol so if they did take the car out they would be able to rip on the tires? Is there a place to use the key for that besides the button anyone can disable the traction?

Thanks, Bob..

I thought I miss-read your question but you asked how to "disable" the TC. I think in answer to the question, I don't know how to lock the TC on, maybe someone can shed some light on this.
Ron :w

Tigershark_11 said:
I know the TC is always enabled, but all they need to do is hit the button and its disabled. Just wondering if there is a way to keep it enabled even if they hit the button,so they cant turn it off..

Thanks, Bob..

Bob,
I don't believe there's a way to "lock" the Traction Control in an "on" configuration. Anyone servicing your vehicle, who understands C5 Corvettes, will know how to either put it in "sport" mode, or turn it off altogether. All you can really do is find a place you trust when it comes to servicing your Corvette, and it's been my experience that the best recommendations on places to take your ride will come from Corvette Club members in your area.

:w
-Patrick

Just pop up the section of the console that holds the button and unplug the wire clip and they can't disable it. Trouble is, if they service the car, they will know how to plug it back in. But this works when I let my other family members take mine.;)

HI there,
I tell people, just take the traction control switch with them when they leave.
Its simple and straight forward.
Tape the connector with your own tape, mark it, and you will be confident.
OR you can just look at the tire tread before and after you drop it off.
Allthebest, c4c5

If I had that little confidence (trust) in the dealership that they would allow joy rides to occur, then I would be looking for a different dealer for service.

Ron

Sad, but I know a couple of people that work at big dealerships and I hear some stories about people taking cars for a joy ride..

Concern for "car abuse" at dealership

My C6 has not arrived yet but I have already been thinking about this potential problem. I intend to tell the service folks that the car is not to leave the lot under any circumstances - I will check the milage before I leave and let them know I've checked the milage. I know this will not be good in some circumstances like when a test drive is necessary. I haven't figured that one out just yet BUT I feel that those situations should be few and far between.

I have considered that, when a test drive is necessary, I might ride with the technician -- this is good and bad. Bad in that I have to return to the dealership just to go for a ride but good in that I will be able to talk directly with the person working on my car and mayby give a more in depth description of the problem. I know when I have brought cars into a dealership I have had to go into a long description with one of the service managers. Then he/she records my complaint in about 8 words. I know the service tech is not getting the full story. So, it would be nice to ride with one of these guys.

I don't think the traction control is going to stop the kind of person who would speed around in another man's corvette from doing bad things. The would-be offender can still test out your top end, and rev limiter in every gear.

If you have reason to believe that some tech will abuse your car while it's in the shop, I would go directly to the service manager or to the general manager and complain. Actually, I would go to both of them and in a voice luod enough for customers to hear.

If I found out that somebody actually did abuse my car, I would call the Better Business Bureau and it if was a dealer, there would be calls to the GM Regional Office and to GM headquarters.

A friend took delivery of his 06 vert a few months ago and the dealer called him when it got unloaded from the truck. When he went to look at it a couple days later, the rear end had been hit. Turned out one of the lot boys backed it into a truck. The sales manager didn't know about it until my buddy told him. He was not a happy camper.....

Tigershark_11 said:

Thanks, Bob..

This won't answer your question directly, but it may help. First, when a Tech works on your car or any car, he or she as the case may be is probably working under a flat rate time. That means he doesn't have time to go joy riding, especially if it's warranty work, the factory time allocated for many R&R or repairs just doesn't give much leeway for play time. Most Techs today are really good honest knowledgeable professionals trying to earn a good living.
If you have reason to believe that the dealership you take your Vette or any vehicle to has a problem child, then speak to the service manager, and express your concern.
We as Corvette owners usually think that somebody else wants to drive our cars, maybe they do, but most likely they would like to own their own Vette, not play with someone else's, no need to develop a phobia over it.
Maybe C4C5 as a current practicing Tech can chime in on this, it's been 30 plus years since I worked in a dealership as a GM Master Certified Tech, but some things don't change that much.
Also, as some have already mentioned, if you don't trust the dealership service department, maybe it's time to look for another.

I take mine to a chevy dealership that has a tech who works on Vettes only. I'm sure he's driven them all, and doesn't do anything stupid that will cost him his job. I trust him with my car, and that gets me respect from him.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom