Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Any experience with Hypertech Products

E

exbanker

I live in Phoenix where it is a refreshing 113 today. I have 1996 LT1 automatic and after reading about so many of you switching to 160 degree thermostats I thought I'd give it a try. Called to have one installed and asked if there was any way to have the aux fan come on at a lower temp. I was told 96 cars had to be reprogrammed. A simple but expensive proposition, $330.00 for the Hypertech programmer and another $20.00 for the Powerstat, their thermostat. The programmer will also raise the rev limiter, shift points and firmness settings.

Has anyone used Hypertech programmers? Was it worth the money?

I have a hypertech programmer, and its helped me. My temp was sitting around 210-215 most times, but I programmed the fans to come on at 193, and now I rarely get above 200. I'm still using a 195 thermo, but I plan on doing a 160 once I get motivated enough to deal with the stripped bolt heads on my thermo housing.

Also, it will not raise your rev limiter, but it CAN rasie your rev limiter if you want it to. You select the options you want (ie top speed limiter, rev limiter, fan settings, ect) and when you're done, hit enter and wait 15-20 minutes for it all to load. Plus you can always change things or go back to stock anytime you want.

Check out ebay for them, there was one on last week for a 96 vette, I was going to buy it, but I decided to wait... expect to pay 150-200 on ebay for one, just make sure it is for you model and year car.... I understand they are worth it, because you can change what you want to change, and also, some cars run better in the Stage 1 mode rather than the Stage 2 mode, just something to think about... I also am pretty sure you can do the manual fan switch for '96 Vettes, I haven't looked for my car yet, but basically you just hit a switch to turn them on, or you can let the car do what it is set to do.... I think the switch is only $20, available from the big corvette parts stores... anyone have a 96 with manual fan switches installed?

The downside to the ebay ones, is that the programer only works on one car at a time, so if the old owner didn't undownload the program off his car before he sold it, you won't get the performance program, only the option changes (like the fan temp, ect.)

It looks to me like you have to reprogram back to original specs before any service work and then reprogram to what wanted originally. Is that true?

I think the biggest reason to put the car back to factory specs is the Hypertech anti piracy thing... You can only download the performance information to one car, and it stores it, so If you were to take the car in to get work done to it, and chevrolet in their infinite wisdom decides to 'update' your computer, then you lose the performance program, unless you have put things back to normal before taking the car in

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom