Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Any ideas for an alternative to mount the front License Plate in a two plate State?

docderek05

Corvette
1994 DRM Coupe LT1, 1986 Black Coupe L98
Hi all,

I moved my 86 from Florida, a single plate state to Rhode Island, and here we are required to mount two plates.
My 86 is black and has the corvette plate insert in place. I absolutely hate to pull it out and mount a plate there.
black car with this white front plate, totally steals to look of the front of the car.
Have any of you mounted a plate below, with some type of bracket? Please advise, yeah I know..crying over
aesthetics, but it just looks like hell. Anyone mount below somehow?
Best, Derek

I know what you are saying...the C4 looks good without the plate and the insert in place. On a C6 there is just no place to put one that doesn't look real bad...in my opinion....I live in a two plate State but just don't have the front one on. I do carry it with me. I did the same on the my C5. Never have been stopped but I am sure I will. It will be a fixit ticket at first so I will have some decisions to make at that time. I told a friend not to run his and he got popped the first week.....lol.....he was pissed. See what the punishment is for no front plate in your State......I realize this is civil disobediance but I hate front plates......:D

I do carry it with me. Never have been stopped but I am sure I will. It will be a fixit ticket at first so I will have some decisions to make at that time.
Ditto, many years ago. Nothing since. :w

I know they make hide-a-plate holders for the C5's and C6'....this link comes to mind first:- Hide The Plate.com...do you think it could be adapted to your car?

The "Show-N-Go" and "Hide-the-Plate" models don't look very good in the hidden position due to the shape of the C4's bumper, in my opinion. I have made a removable bracket which mounts to the underside of the bumper and is completely invisible when the plate is removed. Here are some pictures of my product and a comparison with the show n go. I do have some extras available that I will sell for $50 a piece, same price as the "Show-N-Go". Send me a PM if you are interested.
My unit on the right, show n go on the left in the up position
IMAG0297.jpg

Both units in the hidden position
IMAG0303.jpg

an overhead to show how obtrusive the show-n-go is
IMAG0304.jpg

from the side
IMAG0302.jpg

Here is the removable portion, as you can see it attaches with a pull pin and is very secure but easily removable
IMAG0196-1.jpg

I also have camera mounting brackets which slide in place of the license plate holder for anyone interested.

For what it's worth...

I bought one of the clear plastic replacement panels and have my plate behind it. Of course I have a white plate on a white car, so it's not as glaring. Here in California, the clear plastic cover is also not legal (and I have one on the rear too), but with the plate visible, I've never had any interest by local law enforcement. In fact, I've always subscribed to the idea that it is a good idea to have one or two simple "fix-it" type issues on my car... it gives the officer a chance to cite me with something less egregious than the speeding that I was likely pulled over for in the first place. At least it worked well when I was younger, I don't speed as much as I used to either.

Please forgive the filthy car... I had just rolled it out of storage.

plate.jpg

Jim

I've seen it done, but........

you can go to home depot and buy a 6-8" flat hinge and a handful of 1/4 to 1/2 machine screws. Mount the hinge on the underside of the nose about where the plate holder is...then run a few screws thru the plate and onto the hinge. This leaves the lower plate edge about 2" off the ground BUT if you buy a good hinge and keep it clean, the plate folds up as the car moves and drops as you stop. As you turn into driveways it will usually fold up BUT it will suffer some scraping...thats unavoidable. But as long as you keep tha hinge clean and oiled, the plate will swing like a leaf of a tree and fold as you drive and drop as you stop...so its almost invisable when moving but hanging in plain view for the ossifers to observe.

This isn't the greatest solution, but its the olny one that I've ever seen that allowed the plate to "go away" yet be there when eyes were upon it. Many ossifers cut the Corvette a break on this issue just because they appreciate the problem...its still a CS ticket if you come across a guy thats lookin to write tickets...

I've seen it done, but........

you can go to home depot and buy a 6-8" flat hinge and a handful of 1/4 to 1/2 machine screws. Mount the hinge on the underside of the nose about where the plate holder is...then run a few screws thru the plate and onto the hinge. This leaves the lower plate edge about 2" off the ground BUT if you buy a good hinge and keep it clean, the plate folds up as the car moves and drops as you stop. As you turn into driveways it will usually fold up BUT it will suffer some scraping...thats unavoidable. But as long as you keep tha hinge clean and oiled, the plate will swing like a leaf of a tree and fold as you drive and drop as you stop...so its almost invisable when moving but hanging in plain view for the ossifers to observe.

This isn't the greatest solution, but its the olny one that I've ever seen that allowed the plate to "go away" yet be there when eyes were upon it. Many ossifers cut the Corvette a break on this issue just because they appreciate the problem...its still a CS ticket if you come across a guy thats lookin to write tickets...

You Know, Boomdriver, this is why I need to come to Texas..
all the innovative thinking !!, , I appreciate your idea, and I will try your suggestion. I'll two-side tape the sucker in place, to give it a trial run..and see how that works before I drill it in.....and I will let you know how it goes..the "keep it simple" solutions are usually the best.
Thanks Brother!
Best, Derek

If I had a front plate thats how I'd try to resolve the issue for now...but I;ve got Az reg thats only 1 tag..
The double side tape is a good idea..just get a good bit on the backside so the plate don;t get drug off ! I need to go look, but IIRC there is a place just inside the nose that opens up and might let you hang the plate from a higher mounting position...so it would be even higher off the ground. Not sure how well it would show, but trying is the only way to end up with a satisfactory result. Making no attempt is how you assure yourself of failure.

I think the plate issue is less of a 'deal' in Tex for several reasons.. everybody has a pick-up with a beat up rear tag....so thats one reason to be a little more relaxed than some places. Most cops have a boat or pull a trailer with dirt bikes or horses, and they shoot at you around here if you don't stop. Anyone thats running or evading is usually in a stolen car or stolen plates anyway.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom