Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Any recommendations on Z51 package?

self1 said:
They also did not need to worry about a possibly excessive time for oil warm-up to operating temp on cold days.

Has anyone with a Z51 C6 confirmed this to be the case? I would imagine that the oil would warm up quicker in cold weather with an oil cooler, since coolant always warms up quicker than oil so if you've got an oil cooler with coolant running through it, then that warmed coolant would allow the oil to rise in temperature at roughly the same rate as the coolant does.

I drive mine every day and with the lack of snow this last winter it only sat 3 weeks, I actually prefered the Vette because it warmed up much faster then my Old Blazer I had heat within minutes of starting while I was 1/2 way home with the blazer before the heat was warm.;LOL
If I lived in a city in Michigan or NJ or any where else the roads were crap I would order the mag-ride system but for driving on the roads I do the Z51 makes it a true sports car.

I asked the same question before I ordered my C5. EVERYONE said "get the Z51". All I can say is "that was the biggest mistake I could have made". Unless your roads are glass smooth, the combination of run flat tires and the Z51 suspension will rattle the fillings in your teeth out. I wouldn't get the Z51 for a daily driver even if it was a no cost option.

Z51 for track ... Mag ride for everything else

I owned a 2005 coupe with the Z51 option and manual 6 speed tranny ... thinking that the extra cooling and extra heavy duty components would be worth it since I live in a mountainous area and frequently cross the desert via interstate highway. The ride wasn't bad ... but the car was tiring for long trips and a pain in stop and go traffic. On the otherhand, the twisties were great. Count on spending a couple of grand for new tires every 10K miles and make sure they understand how to lube the suspension when you take it in for service.

My 2006 is a convertible with paddle shift auto and magnetic ride ... WOW, what a difference. Touring mode ... yes, it does ride like a Caddy (I own one, so I know), but when you need control (twisties), flip the switch and suddenly it's a race car and the paddle shift gives you good control as well. This car is a pleasure to drive under any circumstances, and not the brute that the Z51 was.

I'll still take the brutish Z51. Yes the ride is harsh sometimes, but I didn't buy a Cadillac, I bought a sports car. The first time you change the tires from run flats makes all the difference with the road noise issues and some but not all of the harsh ride.

What's with it about buying tires for the z51 suspension every 10k miles??? Is this suspension is harder on the tires for some reason? Are the run flats for this suspension, soft rubber?I'm not into driving twisty roads and such....more of a cruser ;-)

Vetteluver - If you are more of a cruiser, I would highly recommend the stock suspension or better magnetic select ride ... best of both worlds. The tires for the Z51 are much softer (and, for some reason, noisier) and they waer out quickly. I have not heard of anyone getting more that 15,000 miles (of careful driving) before they needed replacement.

What's with it about buying tires for the z51 suspension every 10k miles??? Is this suspension is harder on the tires for some reason? Are the run flats for this suspension, soft rubber?I'm not into driving twisty roads and such....more of a cruser ;-)

Don't know about runflats but I got about 30,000 out of the Pirellis that were on my 97 (6-speed Z51 3:42) when I bought it two years ago.

I am presently at 20,000 miles on the original run flats and I don't baby the car. I will be replacing them next week however.

Z51 is Plush

You guys that call the Z51 a harsh ride really kill me. You obviously have not owned an early C4 Z51 - that was harsh. I had an 84' Z51 - probably the harshest ride of all - but I still enjoyed it. My 07' Z51 in my opinion is plush - maybe just slightly more firm than my 04' F150. I'm 53 and and would have been disappointed with anything less firm. I bought a sports car not a DeVille.

I finally had my very first ride in a C6 yesterday! This one had the Z51 package on it too, and I can tell you honestly that it did not feel any more stiff on the bumps than my C5 which has the base suspension! When I buy a C6 next summer (or the following summer) I will have no qualms about getting one with Z51, even though I'll be using it as my daily driver (about 18k per year too)

And by the way, I did previously own an 84 with the Z51 on it and man that sucker was brutally stiff!

Eloquently said

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom