Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone have a stinger hood on 74-78 vette?

F

fasterthanu

Does anyone have a stinger hood on a 74-78 vette? I am thinking about getting the one from Ecklers. I would love to see it on my year style vette before I make the plunge though. So, if any of you have pictures, can you please post them, or email them to me? Also, if possible, include where you got them, how much, and how much to paint them. Thanks.

This is the only picture I ever found.. upon seeing it I was sold.

I bought mine from ecklers, its for the 75.

29661 1968-76 Stinger Hood $649.99

They also have the later year model, which I believe just has a deeper nose. I could be wrong tho

Mines in the shop right now, take notice that it doesnt come with the cowl cut out, so modifications will be required if you want it open. My price is 300 canuk buxs and change for the cut, gel coat, fit, sand, fit, sand, fit, paint.

Its supposed to be done but have not yet had time to go pick it up.

This was for a quality shoot, but nothing long term as I'll be doing a color change very shortly.

Bill

Bill, when you get yours back, any chance you can post some pictures? I love the pic you posted. Now, with your scoop, your cutting it out, are you making it a functional scoop? I guess a better way to word it is are you going to keep the front of it open, or are you fabricating something to open and close?

I am fabricating a "bat-wing" that will have a provision for a working air dam, just havent figured out if it will be electric or manual.

I need to get my hood back to figure out how it should work.

I'll be getting is back one of these days :) When I can get down while the shop is still open.

Bill

cool, when you do do your batwing, can you take some pictures of it? Would love to see it, for future reference =) Can't wait to see pics of it on your car =P

I think that picture finally sold me, as well.

fasterthanu: Vanacor sells them for $425. The ad is in the center of page 27, but the only pictures are of the '67 stinger hood, on page 40

billybob: I'm interested what your plans are, if you'd like to discuss them in more detail.

Joe

fasterthanu,

I'll be posting lots of pics when I'm nearing completion of this monster :) Will be interesting to go back to see what I started with vs what I ended up with :)

MaineShark,

heres the plan, as seen from 67Heavens post of the "bat-wing" but with a slight modification to it.. well major :bang

I don't want to change of my air cleaner but I also don't want water spray inside, so heres my thinking, bear with me as its all theory nothing yet applied.

Match up the front design of the "bat-wing" but widen the back end of it, leaving an opening similar to one of the L88 hood scoop inserts, it will be dropped enough that the 14" cleaner will fit up into it.

I'll have a post mount ridge around the air cleaner hole that will accommodate the humidifier screen, this will prevent direct water from being sucked in, there will also be a drain cock with a reservoir that I will route back to near the front of the hood incase of water buildup.

Now to the front of the "bat-wing" a custom cut chunk of aluminum, shined up on a post swing, spring loaded in the closed position (heavy rain) I'm still toying with mechanical/electric/vacuum operated.

Mechanical would be the cheapest, but the long run (which would have to be to the front of the hood then along the body into the cab), might make it harder than its worth.

Electrical would be easy but more costly, and mounting a little motor/servo in the hood doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Vacuum is where I'm leaning... as my A/C has long since been umm err :J removed, I figure it would be fairly pain free to hook up to the cabs provided vacuum ports and route out to a small diaphragm that could control the opening and closing. All accomplished via the a/c switch in the cab.

I'll have to see when I get the hood back and finish the not so rough "bat-wing" that I started fabricating.

Bill

just an off the wall thought here, you know I've seen alot of people talk about getting/wanting stinger hoods, but havent seen any pics other than the 1 I posted.

I wonder why??

Bill

I wondered that too. I figured people have been posting they want them for months now, maybe a year, somebody should have had it done by now :J

Here's a pic I found in the Member's Gallery section. The hood is up, but it still looks pretty good.
showphoto.php

I IS a sharp looking hood. I remember you saying in another post that your radiator support was 1" to high? Was this easy to remedy?

billybob, maybe you would know. How come Ecklers shows a stinger hood for a 1968-1976 corvette, and a different one for 1977-1981.... Vanacor is listing one for 1968-1973 and one for 1974-1981

fasterthanu

Yup, when first dry fitted it was indeed too high, but the easy remedy what to look at what was causing this high point.. it was the original radiator top air dam, removed it and ended up with about 1/2" space to play with.

So I'll just shave down the new one when I finally get around to mounting the hood.

As for the differences in the hood, this much I have checked out, Ecklers does own the patent on the stinger model hood that I have. They make them in house, not out sourced. But to the actual differences, I think its just the front nose is longer on the newer moelss, and a bit more of a bend on the older ones.

I could be wrong tho, as I have only purchased one style from them.

Bill

Sounds interesting, billybob.

I wouldn't become overly obsessed with keeping the same air cleaner, if I were you. A different air cleaner might give you a much better system. You're going to need to modify it, anyway, to create some sort of gasket to seal the air cleaner base to the hood, when the hood closes. Flapper valves in the air chamber would work to let it draw air from under the hood, when the scoop is closed (a small spring would keep them closed, normally - when the engine produces vacuum in the chamber, it would overcome the spring and pull them inward).

As far as actuators, ponder this: a motor with a gear reduction drive (one which utilizes a worm gear, not regular gears) is essentially "locked" when off. That eliminates the need for a spring to keep the flap closed (and an actuator powerful enough to overcome the spring). The worm gear won't allow torque on the shaft to rotate the motor.

Joe

This is on a bumper shark, but is another pic. This also looks like just a scoop on the stock hood, which is what I plan on doing:
Stinger1.jpg

I need to search on this "bat-wing" thingy as I havn't decided on how I'm going do the cold air part when I get mine. I'm currently leaning towards closing up the front and using the rear (cowl induction).

honestly, would it be such a big deal to leave it open? I know, you don't want anything in the carbs... BUT, all through out the 60's with custom scoops on hoods, they left them open, and most of those scoops are much bigger than our on our stinger hoods...

Rain...

Joe

yeah, but you have an aircleaner on, and seriously, how much would get in there? If it was such a big deal, how come no one ever had theres closed?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom