Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone have any luck reducing C4 rattles and squeaks?

L

LT4_UK

I'm sure everyone has had their ways and I have tried quite a few things myself, with probably more luck reducing rattles from the hatch area than anywhere else.

On good roads my car almost seems refined but on bad roads it seems to have a squeak from pretty much everwhere (!)

I understand these cars were like this from new but has anyone out there created the ultimate definitive guide to quieting these things down?

I reckon my window guides are shot as the windows rattle and are scratched (sure sign of worn guides) and I have made sure all interior screws are tightened.

I also think a good idea would be to put very thin felt between where plastic parts touch...

Malc

Pick up a Field Service Manual for your 96, it has a section on reducing and finding noises inside the car. Lots of felt tape is in your 96, being the last year it is much better for squeaks and rattles compared to earlier C4's like 84-89 and so forth.

They make noise(s) mostly because of that targa top, it allows the car to flex some. :rotfl Originally, designed as a t-top then GM Brass wanted a targa, no time to compensate for open roof and what you see is what you get. :eek:hb

I added a Kicker sub-woof in the rear and just turn up the volume.
Now the noises don't disturb me.
:)

I went through my 93 coupe and sungged up every screw I could find in the cab. Some had become pretty loose. It made a huge difference. Right now, It's pretty good considering it's a vette. (not a slam)

Steve

squeaks&rattles

Corvette Central sell a Targa Truss Bar.Because they went with the targa instead of the T-topsyou do get flex,this part connects the windshield to the rear roof.Looks like ayou have t-top.But several problems go away,No body flex,front end noise,steering wheel vibration. Check it out!

If you have a painted, fiberglass targa top and it is properly adjusted it makes the car much quieter. During the summer I put my see through top on and there seemed to be squeeks and rattles everywhere.

father & son

One thing i did is make sure tire pressure was 30lb no more. That really seemed to help. teeshirtphotos024.jpg

When I got mine it had quite a few rattles and squeeks. Little by little I got ride of just about all of them except a high pitched noise when I went over bumps in the road. Well I finally found it, It was the hood and needed adjustment. I am now totally noise free.

Pick up a Field Service Manual for your 96, it has a section on reducing and finding noises inside the car. Lots of felt tape is in your 96, being the last year it is much better for squeaks and rattles compared to earlier C4's like 84-89 and so forth.

They make noise(s) mostly because of that targa top, it allows the car to flex some. :rotfl Originally, designed as a t-top then GM Brass wanted a targa, no time to compensate for open roof and what you see is what you get. :eek:hb

There WAS compensation - the door upper edges were raised a couple of inches.

Ok, schrade you caught me, yes they raised the door sills and added some reinforcements but these where only feeble attempts to increase torsional strength. Dave McCellan in his book, Corvette from the Inside, said that with the new roof they should have delayed the car longer to find a better solution to the flex. Given the time restraints they did what they could to make it better. Not ENOUGH compensation. Fixed in C5 however.

How much DID they raise the sills?

I read 4" in a Vette Magazine article April 2002, but I can't see 4". The article was about the '84 called Zora-1 vette here, and had a reference to McClellan's book, but I've never seen where it says that...

In answer to some of the above I agree the painted top is much more rigid and does seem to reduce rattles and squeaks in itself. I also only run on 30 psi in my tyres which helps the ride which I actually think is quite soft for a 'Vette and better than my 2005 Mustang GT (with Roush suspension anyway...!)

I have gone 'round the interior and tightened quite a few screws up, added a few thin bits of foam and replaced some worn interior parts.

I would say I have one of the tightest and quietest C4s I've ever ridden in. On a good road it's pretty good now.

When summer comes and it's time to remove the top I'd better be riding on smooth roads!

Malc

I have a catless exhaust that does pretty well at drowning out the rattles and squeaks haha.

How much DID they raise the sills?

I read 4" in a Vette Magazine article April 2002, but I can't see 4". The article was about the '84 called Zora-1 vette here, and had a reference to McClellan's book, but I've never seen where it says that...

He doesn't say in the book, but does say that they had been tapered and then they made them the same height along the door sill.

Also, they found that the high sills alone was still to flexible so they added reinforcements to the chassis at the front rails. They succeded in getting top on chassis frequncey to just below wheel hop. In a C4 wheel hop is 14.5hz the chassis frequncey with top on is 17hz. Top off it was below wheel hop frequency, very flexible. Its pages 123-124 in the book, if you come across a copy. Very good book.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom