Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone know about this frame modification from the factory? C1

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
C1 racers? JohnZ? Anyone know about this frame modification from the factory? C1

I found this on EBay and wondered if anyone had photos of how this was attached and where it went...perhaps this will be the challenge for JohnZ, he has photos of everything....how about this one? Anyone else?

a0_1.JPG

here is the EBay link....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4609758426&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT

I would guess they were used to "box" the frame rails at some point to make it stiffer.

bossvette said:
I would guess they were used to "box" the frame rails at some point to make it stiffer.
agreed.....but where did they go to make it stiffer? If I can find a photo, I would probably do the same thing to my frame, only have the fab shop weld in pieces....they can easily make them up for me....I need a photo on where to put them....my guess is that where ever they put them, GM or some racer had figured out the best place to provide the most stiffness....rather than me guessing....if I can find a photo...I can duplicate.....

It was not for boxing the frame, it was a brace that comes off the X member and runs forward to the frame right behind the exhaust manifolds. A lot of them were removed over the years for header clearance. Here is a pic of my 60 chassis that shows it. It is not a real good pic, but if you look closely you can make it out. it attaches to the X member just outboard of the exhaust pipe, and ends at the frame right behind the center of the exhaust manifold. It has one of the locations for the body mount in the top of it.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/P0000098.JPG

Regards, John McGraw

John Mcgraw said:
It was not for boxing the frame, it was a brace that comes off the X member and runs forward to the frame right behind the exhaust manifolds. A lot of them were removed over the years for header clearance. Here is a pic of my 60 chassis that shows it. It is not a real good pic, but if you look closely you can make it out.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/P0000098.JPG

Regards, John McGraw
you mean the piece that looks like the oil filter is touching it? if so...that is on my frame already......any place else that I might want to consider adding some stiffners?

Herb,
I was looking at your pic of the rear end, and it appears that your frame still has those in place, am I looking at it wrong?

Regards, John McGraw

John Mcgraw said:
Herb,
I was looking at your pic of the rear end, and it appears that your frame still has those in place, am I looking at it wrong?

Regards, John McGraw
you are right...they are there....the way the EBay ad was worded, I thought it was something else.....I am ok......thanks!!!

So instead of something added to the frame it is something that was cut out and this Ebay seller still had it laying around after 40 years :L

bossvette said:
So instead of something added to the frame it is something that was cut out and this Ebay seller still had it laying around after 40 years :L
you are 100% correct!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom