Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

anyone running a crate motor?

R

RalleyRed

I'm looking to install a crate motor soon, either a ZZ4 or the Fastburn 385.

As you will soon learn here I'm not a mechanic , though I can twist a wrench with the best of'em

All the crate motors are set up for an automatic, is this flex plate also refered to as the fly wheel?

The real question I'm looking to have answered here is, other than the easy stuff like carb, distributor, and the alternater, water pump.
What needs to be changed on this motor to get it ready for an early shark with a 4 spd ?

I'm hopeing someone has kept records and /or receipt's.

Thanks for any help guys.

Rick;help

Rick,
You will need to the change the water pump to the short vette pump and buy a new flywheel. New crate motors use a one-piece rear main seal and your old flywheel won't work.
Flywheel= manual trans
Flexplate=auto trans
Mike

You will also need to install a pilot bearing in the rear of the crankshaft where the trans input shaft goes in. Use the GM needle beearing one instead of the bronze bushing. Part number 14061686.

Tom

Tom and Mike,

Thanks for the replies, am I to understand that I'll be able to use the water pump that's in my car now?

I'm leaning towards the fastburn 385, its got a steel crank and the already has the fastburn heads with larger valves. The only upgrade would be the hot cam kit.
If I went with the ZZ4 and upgraded with the fastburn heads and hot cam, it looks like it would cost about $400 more and I wouldn't have the steel crank. That's not including more labor intensive.

Am I looking at this right?

I apperciate all your imput. I like picking at the brains of knowlegable people.

Rick

Rick

Where are you shopping for your crate.. and what prices have you got?

Comparing

Edlebrock complete motor.

GM ZZ-4 & Fastburn.

PAW build it yourself ( with Edlebrock aluminum heads).

All in the 2800 to 3500 zone ( by the time you add in all the Oh By The Way's)

Mike

Mike,

The hell with where I'm shopping, I want to know where you are.
All the prices for Edelbrock I've gotten have been very high.
I've all but decided on a Chevy crate motor, and it looked to me as though I'd have to part with about $4500. For either an upgraded ZZ4 or the Fastburn 385. I want at least 400hp.

It looks like I may more time to shop than I wanted, due to cash flow right now . But if you can hook me up as far as where you are getting these prices I'd appreciate it.

Rick

Will get back to ya

The LOW price is from PAW out of their 2002 catalog

The GM zz-4 price is from a bud ( don't know if it's accurate) he stated 2800.

Looking for the fast burn @ the same time.

Ecklers has prices for 2 engines in their catalog

3.6K and 4.. something

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I'm looking forward to see what you come up with.

I've been wanting to get going on this for sometime now.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Prices

ZZ-4 $3560.00 12 month parts only warr.

Fast burn $4150.00 12 month parts only warr.

Flywheel 14" $ 249.00 for stick

So $590.00 diff for ( high flow ) aluminum heads

5 day delivery time

Valencia Chevy 661-259-2820

Mike

RalleyRed: Check out your local Chevy High Performance and all the rest magazines for web sites. Try Scoggins Dickey at www.sdpc2000.com and check out their prices for all the crate motors. They can also install the hot cam for you. The ZZ4 AND the Fast Burn both use the same short block which has the forged crank & 4 bolt mains. Both have aluminum heads but the ZZ4 uses the older L98 style heads with 1.94/1.50 valves vs the Fast Burns bigger valves and vortec design which will flow better out of the box. The ZZ4 with the hot cam kit (including roller rockers) will put out 395-405 dipending on the manifold/carb setup. Chevy High Performance ran a ZZ4 dyno Test in early 99 where they got 417 Torque at 4250 and 394 HP at 5750 with the hot cam. Adding a Edelbrock Performer RPM Manifold bumped HP to 402 at 5750. The Fast Burn with the Hot cam is supposed to put out about 430 HP. Remember the Fst Burn heads need a vortec intake manifold bolt pattern but the intake comes with the motor. There are better cams than the hot cam but the price is right. The ZZ4 has the hot cam (LT4) springs installed. Haven't checked the Fast Burn but it's probably the same as the gross exhaust lift with the stock cam is .510 which means you have to have bigger than stock springs. Remember that those springs really shouldn't go beyond the hot cam gross lift of .525 so putting in even more lift would be iffy. Good Luck. Iv'e built a ZZ4 with a TPIS mini ram and their ZZ-409 cam with the GM self aligning roller rockers for my 89. Now all I have to do is do the swap.

Phil (aka 89ZZ4)

Mike , Phil,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to do a little shopping.
I've got the Scoggins catalog here and it says the Fastburn has the steel crank , while the ZZ4 has a nodular crank.

The price for the ZZ4 is $3400 and the Fastburn is$4000. So I know that prices are going to differ.
I hate shopping!!!

I'll let you know what I end up doing

Thanks again guys,

Rick

Another site you need to look at is www.gmgoodwrench.com then go to performance parts then crate engines. They have the complete partslist for the whole ZZ engine series and the fast burn. The cranks are the same and it's the forged crank. I believe early on they used the nodular crank but for the past 2+ they have been the stronger unit. I have the SC booklet and I guess they don't bother changing things all the time. As both have the same LT4 spring setup all you need is GM Performance self aligned roller rockers and the cam of your choice to .525 gross lift.

Have fun

Phil (aka 89ZZ4) I got my ZZ4 used with two hours of running time on it for a dirt cheap price. I probably would have gone with the fast burn if I hadn't gotten a deal I couldn't refuse and they are the same basic heads that already were on the 89.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom