Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone with 50watt foglights?

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello,

I'm going to put 50watt halogen bulbs into early c4 fog lights. I hope some of you also have done this before me and can tell me if I need to look out for something.
Will the plastic not meld of burn? Is making hole to exhaust hot air from the bulbs necessary or not? Thanks!

Greetings Peter.

Hello,

I'm going to put 50watt halogen bulbs into early c4 fog lights. I hope some of you also have done this before me and can tell me if I need to look out for something.
Will the plastic not meld of burn? Is making hole to exhaust hot air from the bulbs necessary or not? Thanks!

Greetings Peter.

I have heard that people have but in higher wattage, but not sure if they have gone to 50watts. Hopefully somebody will see this. Good luck.

I replaced mine over a yr ago with the later 50 watt bulbs. The originals had a metal sheild on the front of them the later 50watt do not. It doesn't seem to be bothering the lenses so far. I like to use my fog lights at dusk instead of having the headlights on,so they get used quite a bit. They do make a diff in the amount of light.I wish someone made a more clear aftermarket lens for them, I think that would help a lot.

Glenn
:w

I would be very carefull about making any holes, if the helogen lights get wet they are history.

I did this project about two years ago.

Went smoothly. Have had NO issues.

Good Luck!

SAVE THE :w

50w bulbs may be too much for the early C4 light housings. The entire fog/turn/parking lamp housing is a single sealed component so there is more risk of getting moisture into the housing if you drill any sort of holes to allow heat to escape.

The other thing to consider is the size of the factory fog lamp wire. The wire gauge is designed to handle a certain current level and adding bulbs with higher current draw will cause the wires to get hotter than normal. The stock wireing may be able to handle the increased current but if there is excessive resistance in the wiring already (corrosion due to age or broken strands in the wire itself) adding a higher current draw may lead to excessive heat and a potential of melting the insulation or maybe a fire.

You may also experience blown fuses with higher current bulbs. While you could install a higer amperage fuse, the purpose of the fuse is to protect the wiring, not the lights.

You can try it to see if it works, but if a fuse blows or it appears that the housing is showing discoloration around the bulb, then go back to the original bulb.

FWIW, there is a 38w bulb that may work to give you better light See if Osram or Phillips has an 882 bulb or similar. Your parts place should have a catalog with a cross-reference listing that will show bulb types with different wattages.

So you're the guys that are blinding me!!!

Naaa, the 50 watts isn't all that bright. To start blinding you it would have to be 80 or 100 watts with a clear lens.
I know what you mean about blinding fog lights, people don't seem to understand that the new high intensity fog lights are for fog and really shouldn't be on all the time.

Glenn

I recently installed the Silverstar lamps as replacements for the originals and they work very well.

When doing this upgrade, remember to replace the 10amp "Tail Fuse" with a 15amp fuse.

When doing this upgrade, remember to replace the 10amp "Tail Fuse" with a 15amp fuse.
Good advice I installed the 50 watt bulbs in my 89 six years ago and blew the fuse. I put in a 15 amp and have had no problems for 6 years. I also converted the head lights from the 55 watt sealed beam to 135 watt Xeion Gas bulbs. I installed a relay so that i did not run all that amperage through the head light switch.

I also converted the head lights from the 55 watt sealed beam to 135 watt Xeion Gas bulbs. I installed a relay so that i did not run all that amperage through the head light switch.

I have been looking to do something with my headlites, also. Your lites must light up the nite!

Is running the relay a simple operation? Of course, when one knows how to do something, it is always pretty simple! Could you perhaps post how you did it?

Seems like all the upgrades out there are really expensive. How much did this set you back?

I have been looking to do something with my headlites, also. Your lites must light up the nite!

Is running the relay a simple operation? Of course, when one knows how to do something, it is always pretty simple! Could you perhaps post how you did it?

Seems like all the upgrades out there are really expensive. How much did this set you back?

I did this several years ago so I don't remember the exact cost.
I think the headlight conversion including bulbs was around $70.00
Relay I had but they can be bought for less then 10 bucks.
Run heavy fused wire from battery to the relay and one from relay to headlight switch and the wire from the switch to the lights goes on the relay. All the headlight switch does is supply voltage to close the relay and allow current to flow from the battery through the relay to the lights.
I should mention that this lighting system is illegal just in case you didn't already know.

Is that set up for the high beams only ? Are the low beams left wired just the way they were?

Glenn

Is that set up for the high beams only ? Are the low beams left wired just the way they were?

Glenn
The lights are 135 high and 80 on low the relay goes in the feed line and your dimmer switch determines if you are on high or low.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom