Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Approximate Cost??

Donne Trav

Corvette
1994 Blk/Blk
Recently my clutch appears to be "slipping" in my '94 6 Spd LT1. Doesn't happen all the time, but yesterday I could smell the clutch. There are no noises at all, just "slippage" upon acceleration. Could anyone tell me the approximate cost of this clutch REPAIR or REPLACE? Would you do the Dealer or AAMCO? THANKS.:thumb

If you go with the OEM dual mass flywheel you are looking at $1500 to $3000 , depending on who does it. I paid $1000 for my dual mass flywheel and clutch kit and did the work myself.

Glenn
:w

I replaced my clutch at 100k, I sanded the flywheel with sandpaper and put on a new clutch. It now has 170K and that was only a few years ago. I drive it daily too.

Glenn: Question?

If you go with the OEM dual mass flywheel you are looking at $1500 to $3000 , depending on who does it. I paid $1000 for my dual mass flywheel and clutch kit and did the work myself.

Glenn

Thanks for your response. How difficult was doing the clutch and flywheel job yourself? About how long did it take? My problem is that I'm 67, overweight and poor vision (90% gone in left eye). My jack stands go about 20" high. Also, do these clutch packages come assemble already? Your Advice. Thanks again. :w

You need a trans jack of some kind , sure you could rent it.The 6 speed is heavy. Everything is very close , just enough room to remove and install. I worked slow and it took me about 16 hrs total. Clutch and flywheel are a bolt in, no real special tools needed. You do need swivels for your 3/8 drive.Skinny hands helps. I am 6' 1" 185 lbs so I get around pretty good for 62. I had apart twice because of a brain freeze. The last time was last summer. It isn't an easy way to save $1500, but if your on a very limited income and can get someone to help you should be able to handle it. If you need more specifics check on my old posts.

Glenn

I need to replace the clutch in my '96 sometime soon as well. Similar symptoms to what you are having. I'm not comfortable putting the car up on jack stands/ramps and doing the job from a creeper. I have checked with a local dealer that is known as "the Corvette Place" in the state and their estimate was about $1200 for the clutch and labor. That didn't include replacing the dual mass flywheel. That estimate is subject to change if there are any problems with the hydraulic parts of the system.

Having replaced clutches in my other "hot rods" earlier in life I am sure I could do it myself but would want to have the car on a 2 or 4 post lift to give me the room to maneuver around under the car without causing too much pain to my semi older :L body.

I have checked with a local dealer that is known as "the Corvette Place" in the state and their estimate was about $1200 for the clutch and labor. That didn't include replacing the dual mass flywheel. That estimate is subject to change if there are any problems with the hydraulic parts of the system.

That would be about $900 labor, really not to bad. The older flywheels didn't have a seal protector like the later ones did. On mine the seal went out and lube was leaking on the contact surface. Less likely with the later flywheels.

Glenn

clutch

You may have trouble locating a OEM clutch kit and/or dual mass flywheel. Just replaced mine a few weeks ago. They are becoming hard to find. Tried all the known Vet sources. I thought I'd dial up any know source, took several days to locate one. Start looking now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom