Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Arcing spark plug wires

John Robinson

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1993 Polo Green Coupe
Arking spark plug wires

I have been following toms94 thread on a stumble idle problem he had. I say he had because today he says they have isolated his problem to the opti.

My problem started after I changed the plug wires and plugs. The plugs and wires were a gift from my wife and she bought a cheaper brand of wires then the ACDelco I would have used. After putting them on the car ran fine but now it misses and back fires then it will clear up. I have been placing vacuum hose over the wires where they are near any metal and that seems to help.

I guess the question I have is has anybody else had an experience with cheap wires shorting out to each other or the engine.

My symptoms are similar to Toms94 and I hope that I have not had an opti decide to go bad now.;help

I have been following toms94 thread on a stumble idle problem he had. I say he had because today he says they have isolated his problem to the opti.

My problem started after I changed the plug wires and plugs. The plugs and wires were a gift from my wife and she bought a cheaper brand of wires then the ACDelco I would have used. After putting them on the car ran fine but now it misses and back fires then it will clear up. I have been placing vacuum hose over the wires where they are near any metal and that seems to help.

I guess the question I have is has anybody else had an experience with cheap wires shorting out to each other or the engine.

My symptoms are similar to Toms94 and I hope that I have not had an opti decide to go bad now.;help
:boogie:boogie:boogieIf it wasn't broke John, why'd you fix it??:D:D:D Sorry Buddy,I just couldn't resist!~!:chuckle On with your question Now!! Yes,I've had trouble with Cheap plug wires,but usually they will at least last a year or so!!Which side are you having the trouble on,or both?? If it's more on the drivers side,I would check and make sure that the wires are on the opti good!! (Actually I'd check all of them at the Opti!!) :thumb I've seen it happen where the wire didn't get fully seated and arc up the outside of the wire to the nearest point where it could catch a ground point!!:thumb I'm still having troubles with my 94 and waiting for a ECM to get here,I'm purdy sure it's the problem!!When I start it cold it will run perfect for about 45 min- an hour!! Then the voltages on the MAF,TPS,IAC and MAP will start rising and the idle go's all to hell!!I can put the ECM in diagnostic mode with a paper clip and the MIL just stays solid lit and don't flash any kind of code,and sometimes on my scanner while running it will show ignition voltage at 24.92 V DC,even when the gauge and my volt meter says the voltage is 13.9-14.1 volts!! I've ran down EVERY Ground,Cleaned and even replaced the connection eyes and soldered them and recheck them with a Volt meter while system is energized to check for voltage drop!! I can take the ECM out and remove the knock module and put it in the oven for an hour on warm (135*-145*) put it back in the car and it runs Perfect till it cools back down and then it starts the voltage thing again and the idle go's wild!!:hb:hb:hb When it first started it,it was idling in the driveway and Popped,Backfired,Smoked Black,Missed, and Just Died,it has threw all sorts of random codes at times and now hasn't set a code for a week, Runs Perfect and then starts the voltage thing and funny Idle Crap!:W:W:WI don't know what it could be except the ECM!!;shrug

Ok I am going out and check that the wires are on the opti.

In the meantime I have ordered ACDelco wires and more water pump gaskets. Is there a way to change the wires without removing the water pump???

Ok I am going out and check that the wires are on the opti.

In the meantime I have ordered ACDelco wires and more water pump gaskets. Is there a way to change the wires without removing the water pump???
I do it on the left side from under the car!!:thumbIt's tight but you can at least do it,it's allot of up and down!!:thumb

crossed Fingers

I have also been smelling antifreeze but not all the time and not until after several days went by after putting it back together. Got the flashlight out and took a good hard look at the wires on the passenger side were they connect to the opti. The bottom two boots were wet and so I took the taste test and sure enough it was antifreeze I also saw that there was fluid on the cross member under the front of the engine.

I have gone back over the bolts that hold the water pump on and did manage to take a good solid half turn more on them to tighten them up. Also the passenger side was the side that I was able to get the most movement out of the bolts the drivers side seemed to have held the torque I used on them. I will try driving the car and see if the miss or stumble goes away or is still there when the engine is hot. It is my hope that the stumble when the engine was hot was related to when the cooling system built pressure and sprayed water on those two connectors on the opti.

If only I should be so lucky.:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie

Remove the access panels on the fender wells. That'll give you more clearance to get to the plug wires and plugs.

I also removed the the ASR module cover, intake coupling and serpentine belt to gain better unobstructed access to the wires.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom