Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

are chrome alternators any good ??

C

cmegga

Whats the take on chrome alternators ?? I am hearing from a few places most of these things are junk. They have a short life and are not very relaible. My mechanic say most of of the ones he has out in only hold up a month or so before they need to be rebuilt.

Im looking for a good 100 amp or higher. Any one have and sucess or bad luck with a particular brand ??

Any feed back would be apreachiated, as this needs to be done in the next day or two.

B

Bullitt

If you're not sure about the generic chrome ones out there, you could just buy a conversion kit. This replaces the front/back plates, fan, pulley, nut, bearings, through bolts and lockwashers. I'm sure it would be easy for a reputable shop to do or you could do it yourself. Summit list the kit at $60 for SUM-810050 (internal regulator) or SUM-810060 (external).

--Bullitt

R

resto75

I have a chrome alt. and haven't had any problems but my 75 isn't a daily driver either. I don't know if it would stand up to everyday driving, but don't see why not. The only difference is the chrome plated casing. Unless that holds in a bunch of heat I don't see why it wouldn't be any less dependable then any other rebuild.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom