Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are EMTs always this slick????

lov-n-life

Corvette
2004 Commemorative Coupe
Ok, after almost a month of beautiful weather I woke up this morning to rain falling. Not very nice of the weatherman, now I have to wash the underside of my new car.:mad Anyhow, I can now firmly vouch for the ABS, traction control, and active handling working on my car! And that was just at the first intersection! So there is this very "nice" "S" corner on the highway entrance ramp I use to wake up to every morning. In my Boxster, the highest speed I hit on the straight run approaching these corners was about 80, that was all she had. Even that was impressive considering the short uphill run. The "S" corners could be taken between 50 and 60 with a little back talk from the tires. Now with the C5's power, I've seen triple digits on the short straight run... a little bit of a pucker factor, but WOW. But that was in dry conditions. The corners were still limited to 60. This morning, all that changed. While slowing (smoothly, and I wasn't moving very fast to begin with) for a red light, the front end wanted to plow a little bit and the ABS activated. That got my attention, and so when the light turned green I was very careful in power application giving just enough throttle to keep the engine running and idle away from the light. That, however, was still too much as even idle was enough to spin the wheels and the traction control kicked in. Hmmm, that's not a good sign, I still have 20 miles to work... Then came the run up to the "S" corners. I stayed at about 30MPH instead of my usual acceleration. As I began approaching the first curver, I let up on all the pedals and figured I would coast through them. I recall the HUD indicating 28MPH when I entered the corner. Here are the characteristics of this corner. Coming off of the straight there is a decline in the road, aprox 10 degrees downward, entering into the corner that then begins a fairly steep incline as it banks to the left, the road is positively cambered. The surface is smooth construction, made of coarse cement (lots of dry traction) with an occasioanl irregularity. The first corner smoothly enters the second corner, a sharper turn to the right, very little positive camber as it flattens out onto the highway. Immediatly after entering the highway, there is a 1 foot wide steel expansion joint (merges onto a bridge). Here is this mornings scenario... As I said, I was coasting into the first corner at 28 MPH. I was on the far right in order to cut the corner as wide as possible, yet make a nice cut across the apex. That plan however changed as I turned in. I was very smooth on the turn in as I was trying to be cautious, and I was slow. Almost as soon as I started turning the wheel the car started pushing. :eek No throttle, no brakes, no clutch inputs, just steering. I sawed the wheel a little bit trying to get the front tires to bite and it just wasn't happening. In an effort to force the car to correct I turned in much harder (to induce the active handling), and rested my foot on the throttle. This had the desired effect as the rear started to come around and the active handling took over from there and the car regained it's composure. I crossed the apex at about 15MPH and maintained that speed around the corner and into the second where I modestly applied throttle in order to merge. I was in 3rd gear the entire time I was in the "S". As I merged and accerated, I went into 4th to keep the revs low and then 5th right before crossing the metal expansion joint. Even in 5th with light throttle, the rear end still tried to spin on the joint, but I expected it. Traction control caught it almost immediatly. The rest of my drive to work was uneventful.
I did not have any traction problems in my C4 (Goodyear GSC EMTs), nor did I in my Boxster with Bridgestone Potenza 750s. So my question then, is my wet weather traction issue just because the tires are still new (less than 2000 miles on them), because of different compounds as compared to the GSC EMTs, or is this a chassis set up issue? Since the Corvette is my only car, I have to be able to rely on it regardless of weather conditions to get me where I need to go. I'm moving at the beginning of the month and will face steeper hills, and more of them, every day at my new place. Suggestions? Comments?:bu

Additional info

Forgot to add this. Light rain/heavy drizzle was falling, but it had been raining for a couple of hours and it was after most of rush hour. Little puddling on the street leading up to the stop light, no puddles or significant running water on the "S" corners. Tire pressures were 32 all the way around.

I don't know what the problem is, but that story scared me! :eek

Ken said:
I don't know what the problem is, but that story scared me! :eek
I'm still pulling shade colored cow hide out of my butt... just a little pucker factor going into that corner! :confused

I have to tell you these tires are scary.I am still trying to figure the car out
(2 years now). In agressive driving I am not 100% confident with this this car. and in less then perfect driving conditions I am nervous .I would never drive this car with out the traction control.Allthough I have not spent much time in the compition mode.For sure I am looking to upgrade my rims and tires.I have to say I absolutely love the car.But I had a 1991 thunderbird super coupe that I had much more cofidence in agressive driving.Granted I was 12 years younger

Maybe you should be trying to figure it out on a track, not on a public road.

Read everything?

RCG said:
Maybe you should be trying to figure it out on a track, not on a public road.
Try reading it again. I was not speeding, and in fact I was going VERY slowly, even when considering conditions the car should have had plenty of traction.

I certainly never got the impression you were driving recklessly; quite the contrary if I read it right. ;shrug

Ken said:
I certainly never got the impression you were driving recklessly; quite the contrary if I read it right. ;shrug
I thought I was too... although I guess it can be misconstrude how I brought the car under control... I was looking for the best line around the corner, but that isn't driving recklessly, that is just situational practice and can be done at any speed. However my attempt to bring the car under control, ie sawing the wheel, finally pulling it hard into the corner and applying throttle, there by loosening the rear end up and forcing the active handling to activate... well I guess that can be read as "trying to figure it out..." on a public road... even though I was doing 15mph.;shrug Of course if it weren't for the 10+ years of experience on and off a track learning my vehicles in a safe environment, I would have not known how to get the front end to grip. A panicked driver may have ended up in the cement wall due to lack of experience with low traction, high power situations.:duh Now admittedly, I do play with my car on public roads, however never in a residential area, high traffic area, or in traffic. Always on a back road that I know extremely well that has little to no traffic all the time, and I know when the "heavier" traffic traverses the roads. Without anything other than 1/8 mile drag strip (ricer play ground) that hosts regular track events within 6 hours, my track time testing is non-existant... except when I was auto-crossing with the SCCA earlier this year... which this car won't be doing any time soon!:L Maybe if RCG clarified his view????:confused
Oh, and if you are referring to the fun I have on this particular entrance ramp, it is one way, no on coming traffic, 3 lanes wide, and when I'm on my way to work, there is usually only one or 2 other cars, behind me or turning in the other direction half way up the ramp. It is an entrance ramp, there fore you use it to accelerate to merge into traffic (a lost art in my opion:mad ). At the end of the ramp, there is only about 20 feet of room to merge, so you have to be accelerating pretty hard out of the shoot to merge smoothly. Traffic is usually flowing at 70+ when you come out of the last corner at 50-60.

lov-n-life said:
Forgot to add this. Light rain/heavy drizzle was falling, but it had been raining for a couple of hours and it was after most of rush hour. Little puddling on the street leading up to the stop light, no puddles or significant running water on the "S" corners. Tire pressures were 32 all the way around.
Try 30F/29R on the tire pressure. It helps, but you're right. The GY F1 EMTs have poor wet traction, in my experience.

Improvements

I was never relaxed or confident when I had the GY EMTs. They slipped and spun even in moderate driving if there was any water on the roads. Snow was almost out of their skill set.

I switched to Michelin ZP and now can relax and enjoy my C5 while I drive in any weather including Chicago snow storms. I run 32 pounds all around all year.

I should have dumped the GYs years ago... so many benefits and no drawbacks.

Ken said:
It's mostly due to the stiff sidewall, correct? :confused
I wouldn't think so as I didn't have the same issue with my C4 and the technology in those EMTs was much older and had even stiffer sidewalls. My Boxster had 18" wheels with very low profile tires, so extremly stiff sidewalls. I can actually feel the tires on my C5 "roll" under hard cornering in dry conditions. I can't rule it out though, since these are higher profile tires compared to what I am used to, and yet they still have a significantly stiff side wall.:confused

lov-n-life said:
32 PSI is 2 lbs too much. The C5 chassis seems to like a little softer tire, at least mine does. Of course there is a world of difference beteween the two cars also, but just the same. Try 30 PSI all around, maybe even 28. I'm pretty sure that 30 PSI is what the owners manual calls for also. Additionally, all the C5 coupe and vert owners in my club are always talking about the abnormal tire wear they have. They complain about wear in the center of the tread area. There are two conditions that will do that, too high a tire pressure, and/or too narrow a rim for the tire.
By the way, and you know my car, I have never experienced any push, hydroplaning, or other abnormal driveability issues in the rain, that is when driving within 5 MPH of the posted speed. Much above that and yes mine will hydroplane in heavy downpours.
It's quite possible that the conditions this morning, the mist, drizzle etc. just wasn't heavy enough to wash the roadway of the tire rubber and oils.

vettepilot

vettepilot said:
It's quite possible that the conditions this morning, the mist, drizzle etc. just wasn't heavy enough to wash the roadway of the tire rubber and oils.

vettepilot
I considered this as well, which is why I mentioned that it had been raining for a couple of hours and rush hour had already passed. It was a pretty heavy rain up until about 10 minutes before I left the house. I figured the earlier heavy rain, through rush hour would have kept the roads pretty clear of collected oils and rubber.
I'll try adjusting my tire pressures tomorrow and see how it handles. It is supposed to rain all week. I haven't touched them since I bought the car.

In my experience the runflats suck for traction, but that's usually in straight line acceleration. I've not noticed any major problems with wet traction, but I'll admit I don't drive in the rain much.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I have not been caught in the rain yet with my '98, but I won't try anything stupid until I find out what the runflats are like on wet pavement. I'm used to great traction in wet weather with my '82 on Eagle Gt2's, and I didn't see my friends having any problems with their C5's in the pouring rain on the way back from Carlisle. Maybe I will be lucky enough to wait until next spring to drive in the rain.

Update

Well I think I can safely say it has been determined there was something on the road that I picked up in on the tires. The following day, the conditions were the same and I had no traction problems at all. Conclusion being there was something either on the road in both areas of low traction, or I drove through something slick that was unseen and it stayed on the tires for that 1/4 of a mile between the two areas that I had traction problems at. In either case, I have to say the EMTs have awesome traction in the dry and I'll just continue with caution in wet or low traction conditions.:)

You didn't have Armor All slathered all over your tires did you? :L

Just kiddin' ya know. ;)

Ken said:
You didn't have Armor All slathered all over your tires did you? :L

Just kiddin' ya know. ;)
No why would I want to dry rot my new tires?:SLAP
I use a Meguirs product, but no the last time I put anything on the tires was quite some time ago (relatively speaking anyways) and it had well worn off/washed off before it rained. Especially from the tread :bu It was something I had already thought about. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom