Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are performance chips worth the money?

Todds82

I've seen hyperchip makes a performance chip for my 82 crossfire, has anyone used one of those and what's your feedback? I'm looking for ways to tweak a bit more performance out of it. Thanks in advance!

Yes, they are definitely worth the money as the chip will slightly fatten up the fuel mixture and get rid of that annoying torque converter clutch lockup that happens as low as 25 mph. The stock chip (PROM) locks up the clutch in 3rd and 4th gears whereas the HyperTech will only allow a 4th gear lockup at around 45 mph. I've been running a HyperTech for about 25 years.

Thanks for the info! Are you running a cooler thermostat in your vette too?

No, the standard 195 degree thermostat is still needed for fast warm up. When I bought my HyperTech they offered two versions; a standard and a high performance that needed the cooler thermostat. I bought both and couldn't see any difference between the two as my engine ran exactly the same.

As the only function of a thermostat is to speed warm up time and it's the radiator that ultimately does the cooling I couldn't see any reason whatsoever to even try the cooler thermostat. There might be a slight power difference when the engine is cold like for drag strip use but as mine is a daily driver I felt the 195 degree thermostat was the better choice.

If your state requires smog testing your engine won't pass a smog test because of the richer mixture. But you can always install the chip after the testing is done then remove it for the next test.

I was thinking that about the cooler thermostat, I'm going to order the chip that supposedly is for the regular thermostat. Fortunately my state doesn't require smog emissions testing. Thanks again, you've been very helpful! I do appreciate it :) 20160506_154210.jpg

I fully agree with TBtR. I recommend the Street Runner version based on my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Lakeside, i ordered the street runner chip. I'm assuming it's a pretty straight forward install?

Just make absolutely sure you don't install it upside down because if you do it'll get destroyed the second you turn your key on. I know because I did it by accident once.

Hey guys, i installed the hyperchip today, everything seems fine but my check engine light is on, any thoughts? Thanks!

Hmmm. I didn't experience that, but not a big thing. Just rein a self-test and let Hypertech know. Their Tech support guy (Jiim?) was a Chev. Svc Mgr for years and will kelp you

I was just about to post lol, pulled the chip out and found 2 bent pins, straightened those, reinstalled and she's purring like a kitten!

Do you notice the overall refinement in drivability and shifting? Those calibration boys at Hypertech took their time to do it right, I think.

I haven't taken her out yet but definitely I'll let you know.
Btw, have you done anything as far as removing the smog equipment on yours?

I haven't taken her out yet but definitely I'll let you know.
Btw, have you done anything as far as removing the smog equipment on yours?

If by `smog equipment' you're referring to the air pump, I've read where you'll get no lift in performance by removing and risk the opposite. The parasitic drag is very marginal from what I've researched, and it could detrimentally affect your performance, which I suspect is due to the O2 sensor being thrown off but I'm only guessing. As far as the, what, 7 or 8 sensors not counting the EGR, you would be asking for big trouble with your Crossfire if you start unhooking stuff. Your ECM is looking for those inputs and trips the `Check Engine' light if something goes AWOL. If its purring like a kitten as you mentioned, let it keep on purring. So many of our `82 brethren have messed up their cars thinking they can out smart the original GM engineers - they couldn't on the Crossfire, it pissed them off, and they ended up blaming the car. The price for paving the way with leading technology. You've now performance chipped it, add the K&G filters (~3-5 HP), tune it up - and, if you want, install a fresh coil, ignition module, cap/rotor (mine starts up amazingly fast now and almost scary how it runs like a new car now, honestly - though it helped to tighten all of the intake manifold bolts plus buy/install a complete set of vacuum hoses); and keep the tires correctly pressured then just enjoy your `82 and the passersby who admire it for godssake! You're driving what was the finest, highest technology car of its day - and, definitely the best looking. It already has the stuff that the earlier C3's are being upgraded with based on the forums (fiberglass suspension, more power accessories, fuel injection, top grade seats, O/D transmission, etc. There is not much more you can do with it now, and not sure you need to, except perhaps experiment with a Renegade intake manifold (~20-30 HP). Keep `er purring and thanks for circling back regarding your Hypertech chip upgrade!

Dave

Last edited:
Well i finally got to drive her after installing the chip and yes i can definitely tell the difference!! Money well spent!
Dave, what type of cap, coil, rotor did you go with? Also, does anyone know who sells the oil temp sensor for this car? Thanks!

I used Delco for everything - and, don't forget the ignition module which you'll see on the inside base of the distributor. It comes with the dielectric grease which is essential to apply to the bottom of the module before screwing it down. Replacing these components had a very positive effect on how quickly the engine now starts. The cap/rotor was already pretty new, but the new coil and/or ignition module was money well spent. And, it's a satisfying DIY project.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Get the Hypertech street runner.

I have an 82 CE and just having the low torque and OD resolved was worth the 100.00!. Look around, there are places you can get these for around 110.00/121.00 with shipping.
It took me less than 15 min's to install. NOTE. Get a sharpie and mark the box in a corner and the plastic, that way you wont put in backwards. Also, the chip comes with the notch so
it does only go in 1 way. The idle also smoothed out and the high idle went way down, as far as warm up time. There is a slight difference when your on the road and floor it...
Nice difference all around. I LOVE the fact that the OD won't even kick in until you hit 45 MPH. No more rumble or dogging. ANYONE with an 82, buy one you wont regret it!
That's my 2 cents.:happyanim:

Been meaning to circle back around on this post. I have to say Ive been very pleased with the difference the performance chip made. The vette has been running great without any issues, until yesterday. I went to start her up and and it didn't seem to want to start...i had to give her a little gas ,it started but wouldn't idle, it seemed to idle low anyway, like around 6 or 7. I finally did get it running and went for a drive, ran perfect, very throttle responsive and idled smooth, but again seemed low. This morning had the same issue, turned over fine but didn't start unless i gsve it some gas, then wouldn't idle...any thoughts? Like I said, seemed to run perfect otherwise.
Thanks for the info on the chip, well worth the money!

Been meaning to circle back around on this post. I have to say Ive been very pleased with the difference the performance chip made. The vette has been running great without any issues, until yesterday. I went to start her up and and it didn't seem to want to start...i had to give her a little gas ,it started but wouldn't idle, it seemed to idle low anyway, like around 6 or 7. I finally did get it running and went for a drive, ran perfect, very throttle responsive and idled smooth, but again seemed low. This morning had the same issue, turned over fine but didn't start unless i gsve it some gas, then wouldn't idle...any thoughts? Like I said, seemed to run perfect otherwise.
Thanks for the info on the chip, well worth the money!

I noticed that the lower idle as well. however, I did have it completely tuned before this. Haven't taken it back to my mechanic to tune it up slightly. Runs awesome though. Always starts and the overdrive is non existent.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom