Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are performance chips worth the money?

Mine idles low as well since installing the chip. But, not to a point of concern about stalling. Just low @ between 650-700. It otherwise doesn't affect drive ability and I appreciate that it engages into Drive easier than it's occasional and unpredictable high idle mode.
But, that said - I could see a potential issue if it went much lower. My advise is, assuming yours is also tuned up, is to buy two bottles of high quality fuel injector cleaner, run your tank down to 1/4 or a little less, pour in one of the bottles and take it on a nice steady drive until almost empty. Then, add the second bottle to a 1/2 tank or less and forget about it until the tank is eventually used up. Clean fuel injector pintol valves give a nice spray pattern which is essential to proper idle and drivability performance. The '82's fuel injectors are a very high quality component, but those were the early days and were less forgiving of poor fuels, especially in some States where regulation of quality was/is weak (Colorado for one prime example). Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's good to hear you are getting what you want out of the CFI! :thumb

If you have the TBIs balanced and they are in good shape (the shafts aren't leaking)... fuel pressure is good... the CFI will run nicely in OEM form & with a chip.

When / if you want to move beyond the stock cam... you have options.

The Renegade intake is a good start for CFI. The cam and heads can be swapped out, TBs can be bored out, larger injectors, a better ECM... etc.

It just depends on what you are looking to achieve. You really have to start with the end in mind- and then you build everything to support getting there.

1982 Corvette Crossfire Injection with .465"IN / .488"EX Cam - YouTube

Attachments

• IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for the input guys! So here's what i discovered, rather by accident. I installed a new DUI distributor cap and coil, rotor and flame thrower ignition module. I removed the air cleaner assembly to make it easier, after i installed them of course i started it and it fired right up and idled beautifully! Feeling rather pleased with myself, i reinstalled the air cleaner assembly and thought I'd go for a test drive. Went to start it and same issue, had to give it gas to start and when it did start, idled a little rough and died. Removed the air cleaner assembly again, turned the key and boom, started instantly, idled perfectly! So, there's a vacuum port on the rear TBI that hooks to what I think is a temp sensor in the air cleaner assembly, of course i unhooked it to remove the air cleaner, and out of curiosity i put my finger over the port and it instantly idled down almost to a stall. I reinstalled the air cleaner assembly again and left the sensor tubing unhooked, haven't had any issues starting or idling. Perhaps the air temp sensor is bad? On a side note, i did go for a drive and was amazed at how beautiful it was running! Then...nothing, just shut down like someone pulled the plug...ugh!!! 129 dollar towing bill later and some swearing i figured out the new ignition module had died. Thankfully I saved the original module. Hope you're all having a great weekend!

Thanks a lot for circling back with the causal issue - interesting stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom