Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are the 315's too large for my car?

Fick

Corvette
1996 LT4 Torch Red Coupe
The LT4 I recently purchased has AFS wheels with 315/35ZR17 tires on the rear. I've been reading that this size tire only came on GS models which had their rear fenders flared. Are there some issues I should be aware of with this size tire on my car? I have'nt noticed any problems in the few weeks I've had the car.

I believe the fenders are the same , they had an attached flare added to them. And if they are the correct offset rims ,no problem

We have had them on ours for about 6 months now. There is not a problem. We put the contoured mudflaps on to control the throwing of road debris.

I have been running the 315's for about 2 years without problems. I have even done a autocross with them.

mudflaps

They were ordered either through Eckler's or MidAmerica. I like them. They seem to do the job. If you want a pic, let me know.

If the wheels have the "GS" offset (50mm), then there will not be (should not be) any problems with the 315 tires.

The fender flares put on the 96 GS are not really needed. The fenders are the same.

I've been running 315's on ZR1 wheels (36mm offset) for almost 2 years now. With this offset, they stick out about 3/4 of an inch. I added the GS flares and contoured splash guards just to keep from throwing rain and road junk everywhere.

A friend of mine runs 335's on the rear of his non-GS LT4... and on the FRONT...

The 335's fit mostly. They fit well enough.

He says 315's fit on front and back with no trouble (with correct offset, of course).

- Skant

Skant said:
A friend of mine runs 335's on the rear of his non-GS LT4... and on the FRONT...

The 335's fit mostly. They fit well enough.
335s on the front??:eek Holy "tracking" batman!!

Tuna said:
The fender flares put on the 96 GS are not really needed. The fenders are the same.

I've been running 315's on ZR1 wheels (36mm offset) for almost 2 years now. With this offset, they stick out about 3/4 of an inch
Not neccesarily true. Some "gestapo" states require the tire to be fully tucked under the fender.

With your setup, in PA, you could get a ticket from a fine eyed trooper
The GS flares "correct" this.

FX GS said:
Not neccesarily true. Some "gestapo" states require the tire to be fully tucked under the fender.

With your setup, in PA, you could get a ticket from a fine eyed trooper
The GS flares "correct" this.

Maybe you didn't notice in the last paragraph I posted, and that you didn't quote, that I have the fender flares, and splash guards also.

With the GS offset wheel, the 315 tire fits under the stock fender without much need for the flare, except for the most extreme interpertation of the 'laws'.

Tuna said:
Maybe you didn't notice in the last paragraph I posted, and that you didn't quote, that I have the fender flares, and splash guards also.

With the GS offset wheel, the 315 tire fits under the stock fender without much need for the flare, except for the most extreme interpertation of the 'laws'.
I did notice and I was not referring to "your personal setup" but letting anyone else who might use "your setup" with out fender flares that they could possibly be in violation of their states vehicular code.
And believe me, in PA extreme interpertation of the "law" is the norm.

Guys with contoured mudflaps: Could you post a pic of them for me? I've got the regular, thin black ones, and I was thinking about getting a set a the contoured.
Thanks a lot,
Oliver

I'd like to second that request for some pics. Would anyone post or email me some pictures of their cars w/ the 17X11" wheels on their car? I've been wanting to put the ZR1 wheels on my car for about a year now. However, my car is lowered and I don't want them if they'll stick out. Nobody around here, that I've seen, has these wheels on a non-ZR1. I'd love it if someone would sorta squat down behind their car and shoot a pic down the side of the car so I could see both under the car and down the side to see how it sticks out of the wheel well. If anyone would be so kind, thank you very much in advance. My email if you don't want to post here is:

rixrose@hotmail.com

-Rick

Here is a picture of my 92 with the GS flares and contoured splash guards. The wheels are ZR1 with the 36mm offset.

260Beast6s.jpg

The 315s on ZR1 wheels stick out a bit so I needed the flares and guards just to keep things on the up and up.
Gives it a nice agressive look, I think.

Nice lookin' ride, white's my favorite color. Thanks for taking the time to post a picture for us, I appreciate it.

Anyone have pics of wheels with the 56mm offset for comparison? Thanks again.

-Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom