Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are the new corvettes in the shop all the time?

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
I just read the August 2015 AUTOMOBILE magazine and they drove a 2014 C7 and a 2015 Jaguar F-type-S for a year and said the C7 was in the shop for a month or so of that year with squeaks, rattles, leaky rear differential, passenger air bag recall, failure to start (bad fuel pump) and stalled out and stopped in the middle of traffic (they didn't say why)! The Jaguar was never in the shop in that year they drove it. Did Automobile mag. just get a "bad" car? Have other C7 owners experienced lots of maintenance, and I just hate squeaks and rattles, issues too?

Mine's been in the shop for 2 oil changes and a gas tank recall in 14 months. It's at 8,000 miles, and ready for trips to Woodward, Carlisle and Key West.

I just read the August 2015 AUTOMOBILE magazine and they drove a 2014 C7 and a 2015 Jaguar F-type-S for a year and said the C7 was in the shop for a month or so of that year with squeaks, rattles, leaky rear differential, passenger air bag recall, failure to start (bad fuel pump) and stalled out and stopped in the middle of traffic (they didn't say why)! The Jaguar was never in the shop in that year they drove it. Did Automobile mag. just get a "bad" car? Have other C7 owners experienced lots of maintenance, and I just hate squeaks and rattles, issues too?

It was probably an early release 2014 with a few issues which is normal for a new model vehicle. I would just about guarantee that the F-type will have more problems than the C7 in the long run. :)

HI there,

Early production vehicles, especially a first year new model will have its share of issues.

2005 were the same way, and 1997.

However, I would say that being around for all 3 generation roll outs, this c7 seemed very much better than previous generations.

Plus, our technical support from Corvette engineering is the best it has ever been to effectively repair Corvette the first time.

There will always be rough patches and noone is perfect, but for the most part, this is the best beginning to a Corvette generation I can remember.

Allthebest, Paul

It was probably an early release 2014 with a few issues which is normal for a new model vehicle. I would just about guarantee that the F-type will have more problems than the C7 in the long run. :)

As a long term driver of modern Jags, I wouldn't be too sure. Most reliable car I've ever owned.

As a long term driver of modern Jags, I wouldn't be too sure. Most reliable car I've ever owned.

Good to hear, maybe attitudes are changing over there............

I've been blessed to say Corvettes (C4, C5, C6, and C7) have been my daily driver since 1993. My C4 was in the shop twice, once for a water pump, and the other for the "achilles heel" - opti-spark!
My C5, and C6, just routine service maintenance. Although my C6 had a dash rattle that was fixed, it didn't stop me from having reliable transportation.
My C7, seat re-program and infotainment screen replacement (jitter issue).
I think most corvettes get a bad rap from people who have never owned them or from second hand fishing stories. I find the Corvette to be one of the best looking, performing, and reliable auto on the planet!
Chris:w

Like Blue 260, I have been blessed to drive nothing but Vettes as my dialy drivers since 1993. My first was a used 87 Roadster then new 90 ZR1,91 Coupe, 95 coupe, 98 Coupe, 2000 FRC, 05 Z51, 07 Z06, 10 Gran Sport, 12 Z06 and the 14 Z51 Stingray. The 14 has been in the shop twice. The first time was for a center display that went haywire. The second time was for a HVAC blower motor (during July in Vegas). I remeber the 05 being in the shop once for a PCM that just died while parked. Came out out and it wouldn't do ANYTHING. All the others never had a problem that wasn't owner induced. I'm looking at the 16 Z06 or maybe another Z51 in the new metallic grey. I did promise the old lady I wouldn't buy another for at least 5 years but, she's used to me disapointing on regular basis for 33 years and, I did buy her a new Flex last year so what could she possibly complain about?

My '15 Z06 vert with 5,200 original miles was in the shop once for a gauge module programming update. My '13 427 vert with 4,100 miles was in the shop once to replace the glove box latch. My '05 vert has been in the shop for "active handling" per a TBS. Still have those three vettes. My '96 collector edition vert 81,000 miles was in for selective damping shock replacement under original warranty, plus 2 serpentine belt replacements. Also had a '07 vert that was never in the shop.

Engine hesitation and misfire

I had my 2015 Laguna Blue Vette with Christal red stripe wth 2700 miles several times in for a problem that the dealer has not yet fixed. It hesitates and backfires occasionally and few times lost power and has stalled. Dealer kept telling me that I do not know how to drive the 7 speed manual. This is the 4th Vette manual that I have owned. On the highway while I do 70+ mph he suggested I need to downshift to 6 th not to have hesitation. That is total rubbish! Car is in the shop since after I bought gas (premium and did not overfill) the engine misfired from 1500-2000 rpm and check engine light came on. Car smelled of gas when I put car in the garage.

The check engine light did record an engine misfire . Mechanic ran diagnostics and everything checked. They were considering removing fuel tank which requires taking the rear end of the car off entirely( 10 hours of labor). I like to know who is the incompetent engineer that was responsible for designing a car that requires removal of entire rear end to remove tank. After I expressed my shock they decided to run some more tests and might hopefully find the problem.Tomorrow I should find out if they solved the problem!

C7 is great when it works but GM should spend more money on improving their diagnostics,( navigation s/w too) and less on other gadgets that are neat but not really essential.

If it is not fixed, I guess my only recourse is to go to court and request my money back as part of the lemon law. By the way my prior 3 Vettes ( a red C3, a purple C4 and a Electric blue C5) were extremely trouble free and I only changed oil and filter when needed.:mad

Last edited:
Wow

I am sorry to hear this. Maybe the dealer needs to train his techs better. It all depends on the service writer and the technician doing the repairs. I agree the fuel tank is in a lousy spot and shouldn't require an entire day's worth of labor to replace. Good luck.

Very odd. Was this a certified corvette technician who worked on your Z06? I take all of my Vettes and Cadillac to MacMulkin in Nashua, NH. They're smart and get it done right.

Anyway, your vette is under warranty; they're should not be any labor charge to fix it.

Hesitation and misfire update

My 2015 Vette is still in the shop at McMulkin and so far they have not fixed the problem. They were supposed to road test car to see if problem reoccurs and because of weather they keep telling me that car with the summer tires cannot be driven with temperature lower than 40 degees. Have finally driven it for about 40 miles but they are telling me need to drive it for much more to empty the tank then refill it and see if hesitation and misfire returns. Given the wintry weather might not get the car back for a few more weeks. Seems to me than if they drive to empty the tank there are better way of doing it by syphoning gas out of the tank and then refill it and take it for a spin. But I am not a mechanic and they rather drive the Vette for more hours. Some times , hopefully before Spring I should get back my beautiful but unreliable Vette.

My 2015 Vette is still in the shop at McMulkin and so far they have not fixed the problem. They were supposed to road test car to see if problem reoccurs and because of weather they keep telling me that car with the summer tires cannot be driven with temperature lower than 40 degees. Have finally driven it for about 40 miles but they are telling me need to drive it for much more to empty the tank then refill it and see if hesitation and misfire returns. Given the wintry weather might not get the car back for a few more weeks. Seems to me than if they drive to empty the tank there are better way of doing it by syphoning gas out of the tank and then refill it and take it for a spin. But I am not a mechanic and they rather drive the Vette for more hours. Some times , hopefully before Spring I should get back my beautiful but unreliable Vette.

Sounds like to are dealing with a dealer problem as much as a car issue. It appears they would rather park it than use other ways to get to the issue. If they are worried about the gas, remove the gas by dropping the tanks or draining them - it's what they should do for any customer, let alone one that dropped Stingray level cash. I might have too much time on my hands, but I'd run my issue all the way up the GM flag pole from the zone office to Mary - and I'd mention lemon law too.

Your experience is one reason Cadillac stands a good chance of getting the rear engine "Vette." Not all Caddy dealers are great, but most are better than most Chevy dealers. And shame on GM for putting Summer only tires on the Vette...all for the magazine stats.

If you are unhappy, make the dealer unhappy.

We really don't see that many C7 Corvettes in our service department for service issues. They're usually in for regularly scheduled maintenance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom