Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Are there any new 275 40 17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Tires on the Planet?

mcich7781

Corvette
1991 Zr-1
I have my Eagle F1 GS-D3 Tires ordered from Tire Rack since before Christmas. My 96 Corvette has 275 40 17's in the front, and 315 35 17s in the rear. Tire Rack is holding the two rear tires but is unable to obtain any 275 40 17s from Goodyear. Goodyear has reported that they will not be making a production run until August now. They have reported to Tire Rack various production dates that started with May 1st, June 1st, and now August 1st. I have also heard a rumor the tire will be phased out completely.

I really want a new set of the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires based on published reviews and talking to other C4 Corvette owners. I had a local Goodyear Dealer do a nationwide seach as well and came up empty handed.

I have checked with every major retailer and nobody has two 275 40 17 Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires anywhere.

Any other suggestions? My old tires don't have much time left.

Thanks in advance

MCC

MCC, I had a similar problem a few years ago. My D3's were okay on the front, but the rears were worn out, and I couldn't get new D3 for the rear for months. I tried some Kumho's on the back and it didn't work. The mismatched tires handled badly. I was finally able to get 2 D3's for the rear and that fixed the problem. I sold the used Kumho's.

When it was time for a set of 4, I considered the availability issue and tried Continental Extreme Contact DW instead of the D3's, which were actually available at that time. The Conti's cost much less too. Honestly, I would prefer D3, but the Conti's are fine. They are smoother and noise has not been an issue.

Sorry, but we C4 owners are at Goodyear's mercy if we want D3's.

Thanks. I bought some Sumimotos to get me through the summer. I will just wait and see what happens with the D3's. I wish Michelin would make the 315's in one of their quality tires. The 315 size limits available tires. Took the car for a ride today. The Sumimotos ride and handle fine for the money. Now I can make Corvette pilgrimage to Bowling Green this summer without the worry of a blowout.

275 40 17 Tire Availability

Thanks. I bought some Sumimotos to get me through the summer. I will just wait and see what happens with the D3's. I wish Michelin would make the 315's in one of their quality tires. The 315 size limits available tires. Took the car for a ride today. The Sumimotos ride and handle fine for the money. Now I can make Corvette pilgrimage to Bowling Green this summer without the worry of a blowout.

Anticipate the C4 tire situation getting worse in the future, laws of supply and demand. Our sizes are not common in todays market, most of the latest high performance tires are not even offered in 17 inch sizes. sad but true. Hopefully a couple manufacturers will continue to support our sizes or we may be faced with increasing wheel size which will be a very expensive proposition indeed.

Goodyear F1 D3 Tire Update

According to Tire Rack Goodyear not producing Eagle F1's until October now.

My neighbor sells rubber, and he had to get my 315 x 35 x 17 F1's from New York. He said GY is substantially cutting production of F1's in all 17" sizes - 315, 275, etc., ...

And the less we DEMAND the good tires, the less the SUPPLY. With less and less C4s on the road, it is an uphill struggle on a good day.... and I switched from 16" long ago!

The Asian companies will wait out the demise of US competition in this industry, too, and produce/sell tires even IF at a loss... for a while.

Hell, I even have a tough time finding decently fitting shoes anymore... and my 6' wife has to make her own clothes, usually, not being from there. Supply driven by demand.

Goodyear Availability

My neighbor sells rubber, and he had to get my 315 x 35 x 17 F1's from New York. He said GY is substantially cutting production of F1's in all 17" sizes - 315, 275, etc., ...

I anticipate what we buy going forward will be determined by what is available at time of need. I have been a Goodyear fan for many years, I recently bought a set of Conti's for my 96 as they were immediately available at 40% less $. As Goodyear reduces the number of tires they manufacture due to reduced demand the price will go up as well. Being that tires are date coded and have a shelf life they also don't want unsold inventory sitting in a warehouse so will produce only what is being sold. As an aside, many of todays latest and greatest high performance tires are not even offered in 16 and 17 inch sizes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom