Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Arrrrgg - LTPWS is MIA

• Thread starter Thread starter tonylong
  • Start date Start date
T

tonylong

I just had all four tires replaced. One of the sensors had it's band break and it was flying around inside the tire. No biggie in itself because they're nearly industructible - BUT, the mechanic left it off pending my getting a new band, and the "Check LTPWS is NOT coming on, which it should since there are only 3 sensors in place. The warning lights for "Check LTPWS" and "Low Tire Pressure" light up during start up so the lamps are OK. When I drive and vigorously shake the uninstalled sensor it should cause the "Low Tire Pressure" lamp to come on since it's not in the tire and there's only atmospheric pressure out here.
It looks like the system isn't working now., It did recently and warned me correctly about a low tire.
Is there a way I can check the system, or have the dealer check it out? The 89's system uses no batteries, it has a piezoelectric crystal in each sensor which generates enough currect when agitated to send a signal to the receiver.

If you drive the car long enough the lights WILL come on. I was fooled the same way after some fool broke one of my bands. Took me 4-5 re-balances and tire removals before I found the problem. Those C4 sensors are a PITA anyway. I sold the remaining 3 sensors and removed the LWPS lamp. Haven't had a problem since. :cool

My experience is that it needs to see a couple of miles at 45 MPH or better before it will set the system lights for a missing sensor.

If you decide to remove the remaining sensors, please mail them to me!

Well thanks all for the replies. I've driven for over an hour and no "Check LTPWS" alarm comes up. I did find that the broken hose-ring-band isn't available by itself, only with the purchase of a complete sensor/band assembly - for $235+ egads. I'm not sure the system is still working but I'm gonna try to find a band at least, someplace.
I'll also check the system by airing down one of the sensor-equipped wheels to under 20 lbs just to see of the "Low Tire Pressure" comes on. That will tell me if the system is at least partially working.
I'll see if there's a place on this forum to advertise for a band. Maybe also ebay, too. Any 89-92 vette uses the same sensors, could also be that later years use the sane band, too. We'll see.

The band is the same - the sensors are different.

Some times the tire shop brakes the sensor housing but not the band. Talk to some of the tire shops around your area - I've known some that keep the sensors when people tell them to take them out.

Well thanks all for the replies. I've driven for over an hour and no "Check LTPWS" alarm comes up. I did find that the broken hose-ring-band isn't available by itself, only with the purchase of a complete sensor/band assembly - for $235+ egads. I'm not sure the system is still working but I'm gonna try to find a band at least, someplace.
I'll also check the system by airing down one of the sensor-equipped wheels to under 20 lbs just to see of the "Low Tire Pressure" comes on. That will tell me if the system is at least partially working.
I'll see if there's a place on this forum to advertise for a band. Maybe also ebay, too. Any 89-92 vette uses the same sensors, could also be that later years use the sane band, too. We'll see.

I recently saw an add on the "C4 Parts For Sale" board on the CorvetteForum for a complete set of four. I didn't read the ad, just the Title, so I don't know what years his are for.

Jake

Well the system woke up and is now displaying the "CHECK LTPWS" alarm. he he I guess big momma finally realized that "Charlie" isn't with us anymore. It takes her a while to tip to that but it does work. So I'm gonna put in an ad for the retaining band for 89-96 sensors. If anyone knows of any have them message me.

A shop in OKC area has a full set of C4 LTPWS bands and sensors. He wants $300 for them. I don't think he knows whether they are early or late C4 sensors. Are they worth $300 for all 4?

Is there a problem with posts here?
I saw a reply from spanishvettes, and replied to it, but neither post is here now?

I saw a reply from spanishvettes, and replied to it, but neither post is here now?

I have a band and sensor for 1989-92 driver's side front wheel. I paid $100 for it used and found out that it won't work on my 94. (this was before I researched the TPS system and learned about the sensors). I was saving the unit in case I needed a replacement band, but I would let it go for what I have in it plus shipping. BTW, have you tried Taber?, They may have spare bands, but they cost $50 each.
Barrett

What's the partnos and colors of the sensors you have?
The wheel location doesn't matter, as long as there are four diverent partnos/colors on the car. Each send out a different coded signal and 4 different signals are needed.

What's the partnos and colors of the sensors you have?
The wheel location doesn't matter, as long as there are four diverent partnos/colors on the car. Each send out a different coded signal and 4 different signals are needed.

I am assuming that your question was directed to my reply. The GM part number is:
GM10098495 and the label color is green. Driver's side, LF.
Barrett

Thanks for checking. As far as I can tell, the sensor I have still works but I won't know for certain until I get a band to mout it. In any event my sensor is blue. I must already have a green one. They came in four colors - red, blue, green, orange/yellow.
All I really need now is a band. I may already have a lead on one, from spanishvettes.

You also have a post in the FS/WTB section asking for sensor bands. Spanishvettes posts are there.

You also have a post in the FS/WTB section asking for sensor bands. Spanishvettes posts are there.

Thanks tuna, i did finally remember it. too much top-down driving I guess =]

Update on this:
I did get two bands and a sensor from Spanishvette,
and installed my re-assembled sensor with the new band.
Checked all the sensors for function today - all OK.
System still working after 19 years !!
This was the first system GM used and it was very simple.
Didn't have all the features of later models but it has the benefit of not being sensitive to vibration or heat.
Thanks to all who replied to this.

Great news.

Glad that your system works, mine does after 14 years. If I need TPS replacement parts, I'll check Spanishvette first. Nice that he was able to help, but if you read his posts, he always pitches in for us.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom